New to knife making and first knife

cook1536

Hello from Southeast Missouri. I decided to jump into a new hobby and learn knife making. after doing some research i decided i wanted to make a skinner. So i started working on getting some tools and items to make a knife. here is what i came up with. Profiled, heat treat, temper, etching and final knife. It is 1095 with Cocobolo scales. Im in the process of learning leather to make a sheaths.

20230425_194536~2.jpg20230504_194820.jpgScreenshot_20230531_092734_Photos.jpg20230514_185049.jpg20230518_214126.jpgScreenshot_20230522_123931_Photos.jpg

Nice - I dig your DIY filing jig. Very clever.

Is that just yellow mustard you used for etching?

Nice - I dig your DIY filing jig. Very clever.

Is that just yellow mustard you used for etching?
I found the idea for that jig on a youtube video i saw. Yes just plain old Frenchs yellow mustard. I did use some Dijon that gave it some darker etching and have read that horse radish leaves dark etching. I would not have believed it until i did it for myself.

Good job on the forge but I'm sure that you will find that the empty propane bottles with start to stack up on you. You can find plenty of designs for propane forges that use 10# bottles that you can refill. I would also recommend that you get some blacksmiths tongs for heat treating. It will let you keep your hand farther back from the fire and you glove, and you hand inside of it, won't get as hot. Personally, I like a chain makers pattern.

Doug

Good job on the forge but I'm sure that you will find that the empty propane bottles with start to stack up on you. You can find plenty of designs for propane forges that use 10# bottles that you can refill. I would also recommend that you get some blacksmiths tongs for heat treating. It will let you keep your hand farther back from the fire and you glove, and you hand inside of it, won't get as hot. Personally, I like a chain makers pattern.

Doug
If you go to your local hardware store you can find a grill regulator and hose that goes on a 20lb tank. Cut off the torch head, and hose clamp it onto the grill hose, and you got a torch that will work with 20 lb tanks.:)

Back