New to most of it

hdstraws72

I planning on building my own knives out of billets. I have limited knowledge on how to do anything except craft the handle. For now I plan on doing most my work with a grinder and belt/disc sander combo. After reading some threads I’ll be heat treating with the charcoal hair dryer method. I have millions of questions but I’ll keep this simple as I continue to read threads.

What are some things I want to make sure I’m doing and not doing. What are some tips for using just a grinder and the sander combo.

I’m so excited to join this community and I hope to be showing of some nice knives here soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard!

For the very first heat treat I ever did I used the charcoal and hair dryer method. I had mixed results, mostly not so good. If you can afford to do so, I would send your knives out for heat treat until you can get a better heat treat method. However I understand the desire to do it all yourself; particularly at first. If that's the case your best results with the charcoal/hair dryer is to make sure the heat is as consistent as possible. I used an old round charcoal BBQ and ran the hair dryer through the vent underneath the BBQ. Be careful that you don't melt the hair dryer.

What type of grinder are you using? 4 x 36 or something else?

Welcome aboard!

For the very first heat treat I ever did I used the charcoal and hair dryer method. I had mixed results, mostly not so good. If you can afford to do so, I would send your knives out for heat treat until you can get a better heat treat method. However I understand the desire to do it all yourself; particularly at first. If that's the case your best results with the charcoal/hair dryer is to make sure the heat is as consistent as possible. I used an old round charcoal BBQ and ran the hair dryer through the vent underneath the BBQ. Be careful that you don't melt the hair dryer.

What type of grinder are you using? 4 x 36 or something else?

I’m looking at a 4 x 36 and a 1 x 30 but I’m open to all advice

I’m looking at a 4 x 36 and a 1 x 30 but I’m open to all advice

If you haven't bought yet I'd steer clear of the 4 x 36. I had one and it isn't well suited for knife making. The standard in knife making is 2 x 72. However if money is tight a 1 x 30 can be found for around $100 or less.

Back