Newbie Closing Gaps in Gaurd?

Kris Martinelli

I admit if I can use parts from another knife I will...but if it takes more time trying to make a part fit????
Is there a way to sintch this guard to my knife. (Close the gaps) and tighten it down? The guard is steel. PS I don't spot weld but I do use propane to heat things up?????? Help>? Thanks I really do appreciate the time?
:sad:

Some times you can tap it with a hammer to make the gap close up if it runs the long way.

logic tells me that heating the metal causes it to expand: so,if you heat it and tap it, when it cools,it will shrink,and create another gap...
yes? (maybe I'm wrong).
I over-filed the slot for a brass guard once: it was too wide,but fit top and bottom well.
I lightly hammered it from the sides,and while it tightened there,it opened up the slightest bit top and bottom...
So,put the blade in my vice,then took a dull narrow chisel (1/4" wide),filed the edge flat,then carefully chased around the slot in the guard,1/32" from the edge,angled towards the slot.
That pushed the brass toward the blade,closed the gaps,and created a design around the slot which I liked.
But,that was brass,not steel...
try hammering around the edge of the slot,and compressing the guard: that should make the metal around the slot bulge a bit.
You'll probably have to sand the guard flat again to remove hammer marks. If it snugs the blade a little too much,
put your blade in your vice,slide the guard down,then use a pipe,slide it over the handle of the blade until it touches the guard: tap down until you pressure-fit the guard to where you want it.

What you should do is post your questions in the proper part of the forum. You'll get a better response. With almost 200 posts you must know your way around by now.

logic tells me that heating the metal causes it to expand: so,if you heat it and tap it, when it cools,it will shrink,and create another gap...
yes? (maybe I'm wrong).
I over-filed the slot for a brass guard once: it was too wide,but fit top and bottom well.
I lightly hammered it from the sides,and while it tightened there,it opened up the slightest bit top and bottom...
So,put the blade in my vice,then took a dull narrow chisel (1/4" wide),filed the edge flat,then carefully chased around the slot in the guard,1/32" from the edge,angled towards the slot.
That pushed the brass toward the blade,closed the gaps,and created a design around the slot which I liked.
But,that was brass,not steel...
try hammering around the edge of the slot,and compressing the guard: that should make the metal around the slot bulge a bit.
You'll probably have to sand the guard flat again to remove hammer marks. If it snugs the blade a little too much,
put your blade in your vice,slide the guard down,then use a pipe,slide it over the handle of the blade until it touches the guard: tap down until you pressure-fit the guard to where you want it.

Dude that's what I am talking about!! Thank you so much Ironwolf I will let you know!!!!

What you should do is post your questions in the proper part of the forum. You'll get a better response. With almost 200 posts you must know your way around by now.

Bill thanks for the reminder....I think it will take time not posts for this old man to learn my way around. This is a big place but thank you for the reminder!
PS thanks for your help and input????

Back