Nice little 3 piece knife...

Perfection in everyway. I only see a couple of issues - you only oriented the one micarta pin with the scale grain! JK!
I really like the detail at the butt - how do you put that groove detail in?

I think I've read where you've said something to the effect of new makers should get these three piece knives nailed down before moving on. I'm trying to take that advice with my current builds. (Yeeeah, anyway)...

Again, you put beautiful color schemes in your knives.

Perfection in everyway. I only see a couple of issues - you only oriented the one micarta pin with the scale grain! JK!
I really like the detail at the butt - how do you put that groove detail in?

Haha.....I thought about that......I ALMOST tried to time the pins. Then I decided I had to draw the line somewhere.

But good eye for noticing little details like that.

The groove on the butt end is hand filed. Its the only way I know to make it precise and even. We're dealing with an even groove on two separate curved planes.

At a show once, another maker approached me sorta proud that he had come up with a quicker, easier way to copy that little detail using a router. It did NOT look very good and it wasn't close to consistent (because of the varying curved planes), as you may be able to imagine.

I think I've read where you've said something to the effect of new makers should get these three piece knives nailed down before moving on. I'm trying to take that advice with my current builds. (Yeeeah, anyway)...

Again, you put beautiful color schemes in your knives.

I did (and still) say that. If you can CONSISTENTLY nail down clean lines, nice curves, good flow/proportions/symmetry and nice fit/finishes, you'll be a MUCH better maker for it on more complex pieces.

And in my opinion, there isn't much point moving on to more complex work if you haven't got a good grasp on the above basics.

Thanks for the comment.

I did (and still) say that. If you can CONSISTENTLY nail down clean lines, nice curves, good flow/proportions/symmetry and nice fit/finishes, you'll be a MUCH better maker for it on more complex pieces.

And in my opinion, there isn't much point moving on to more complex work if you haven't got a good grasp on the above basics.

Thanks for the comment.
Well said as always John.

Back