Nicholson File Knives

opaul

I tried my hand at making a couple of bird and trout knives from Nicholson files. These were small files so the knives are on the small side. One of the knives is forged and grinded and the other is flat grinded. The forged knife has Ringed Gidgee scales and the other has antler scales from a antler cut off I got from Pet Smart. I had to do a lot of grinding on the antler so it doesn't look much like antler any longer :). Both are razor sharp and I learned a lot from making both of them.

Very nice opaul! How long are the blades?? Either of those would make a handy little EDC knife, with a nice slim side sheath. Those would also make great neckers. I am just not convinced I want it around my neck. Never liked jewelry around my neck, so not thinking I would want a knife around my neck either!!

Thanks C Craft! The blades are about 3" and the OAL is ~7.25. I'm wih you, not sure I'm in the market for a neck knife, but these would make fine field trip knives :)
The back side of the forge knife looks much better. I got heavy handed with the hammer on that one side:)

Last edited:
A friend of mine gave me a pile of files. I took the good ones out to use and the rest are going to be knives! Have to anneal all of them first. Did you anneal those in your new oven??

A friend of mine gave me a pile of files. I took the good ones out to use and the rest are going to be knives! Have to anneal all of them first. Did you anneal those in your new oven??
I haven't rearranged my shop yet, so the oven is still in the shipping box. I used my gas forge to heat them up and let them cool in a 5 gallon bucket of perlite. I have a rather large vintage ferries rasp that I'm going to forge into knives. I'm doing some practice runs on these smaller files.

Those are great looking pieces overall. Your grind lines and plunges are getting much more clean and even. I love making file knives and the steel is pretty good overall.

Back