Nitro-V Boner for My Dad - pic almost done

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
First thing’s first ... pahahah lol.

Now that we can move on lol. My dad and I debone a ton of pork and deer every year. So he put in a request for a boning knife. I’m gonna give this a whirl. I have a lot of grinding left to do. I want to focus more on fit and finish than ever before so I’m gonna keep it simple. This is my own design btw. Anyway critique away as usual. Thanks for looking.2C7AC5F0-05B5-4419-87B3-AFDF5AA564C4.jpeg

Looks really good Kevin, I think this might be one of the best looking knives I've seen. Where are you going to put the pins or are you going to use another method to attach the scales

Looks really good Kevin, I think this might be one of the best looking knives I've seen. Where are you going to put the pins or are you going to use another method to attach the scales

Thanks!!!
I have no idea where to put the pins lol... I’m taking my time because I definitely don’t want to mess that part up. Do y’all know of a good resource on how to do the pin placement correctly???

I don't know if there's a formula for placing pins? I always put them according to the handle so they were aesthetically appealing centered on scales and equally spaced?20180217_193111.jpg
This is a Chefs Knife I'm working on. No rhyme or reason for placement. Just thought they looked good where they are.

Just some update pics... replaced grinder today with another HF, but that is a very temporary situation. I used to say that I would get a real grinder when I could outgrind the 4 by 36 ... now that I’ve accepted the fact that will never happen lol, I think that the benefit of a nicer machine would maybe show up in my work fairly rapidly. Plus the must be easy to sell lol ... don’t see too many used ones... and most importantly I’m fairly certain that I’ll be making knives for a while. I think it’s time to bite the bullet. Now I have to decide which one. Lawd... here we go... I won’t be able to sleep for month ... worried about my choice.6E238EE7-D64B-472E-9A2A-504311E2B88A.jpeg1CB912A8-9F3D-456D-A21F-5FE59715B6EF.jpegF359DC8F-0E35-49A2-BF82-B4D31A8A4283.jpegF54D2E9C-1DC9-4E15-9867-2D8A411EAD61.jpeg6E238EE7-D64B-472E-9A2A-504311E2B88A.jpeg1CB912A8-9F3D-456D-A21F-5FE59715B6EF.jpegF359DC8F-0E35-49A2-BF82-B4D31A8A4283.jpegF54D2E9C-1DC9-4E15-9867-2D8A411EAD61.jpeg684A51B7-9D34-492F-8213-9DE3D6B2EA48.jpeg

looking good!
Thanks!! Man, I tell ya, when you see an improvement in my work 100% of the time it is the result of me asking myself - what would John do- no lie. For some reason lol your straightforwardness toward knife making has had a tremendous impact on my growth. I guess what I’m trying to say is that, just for an example, the improvement between this blade and the last is really me just being way more “careful” lol. I hope y’all get what I mean. I honestly believe that John Wilson helped me learn that. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said to myself, “just grind to the line around the edges and make it flat.” Anyway prob makes no sense to anyone but me, lol but thank you John

And you are right- just go slow and make it flat. Everything else will work out. You can grind the tip all by itself later if you wanted to. Getting it flat makes your lines right, and having the lines right is 90% of the solution. Perfect plunges makes perfect sides.

We're making knives, not space shuttles. It's just a piece of steel. What can happen that you can't fix?

And you are right- just go slow and make it flat. Everything else will work out. You can grind the tip all by itself later if you wanted to. Getting it flat makes your lines right, and having the lines right is 90% of the solution. Perfect plunges makes perfect sides.

We're making knives, not space shuttles. It's just a piece of steel. What can happen that you can't fix?
I was hoping what I was saying was making sense lol. I’m glad it did.

Back