No Weld Grinder Motor Wiring Question

chrisstaniar

I just got my Weg motor from surplus city (this model) and I can't seem to find any documentation on the wiring. I searched several sites as well as the manuf's site but no dice. I was hoping one of you has hooked up this motor before.

Here are a couple of pix

IMG_1559[1].jpgIMG_1558[1].jpg

I'm wiring for the low voltage (110) so I connected the colors that appear to be connected on the motor diagram i.e Blue & Orange, White & Brown.

I'm not sure if that's right and I'm not sure which should connect with the switch.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

John Wilson

You almost got it. Yellow should not be bundled with the other. Yellow ties to your Neutral.

Here's what you want:

Blue + Orange + HOT (110 VAC supply)

Yellow + Neutral

White + Brown (wire nut these together by themselves)

And connect your ground to the motor chassis. There should be a screw inside the peckerhead (the connection box) for connecting your ground wire.

John Wilson

OOPS! I just looked at the picture again, except this time I enlarged it so I could see. You did get it right. I didn't notice the yellow was floating and just sitting next to the others.

Great job!

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
I have a wiring kit with instructions. Just check out www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com. This includes an 8' molded power cord, toggle switch, cable glands for dust proof connections, wire nuts and my one page instructions.
I also have wiring kits for use with VFDs and 3 phase motors.

Let me know if I can help you.

John Wilson

Sorry, you asked which to connect with the switch. Run your HOT leg (110VAC) through the switch and then to the motor leads (blue + orange). Your neutral and ground should run back to the power source (circuit breaker) uninterrupted.