Noob finished a sheath.

Tod Lowe

This is my first time trying a sheath like this. I usually attempt pouch types.
I stumbled thru this thing and almost scrapped it at one point but it somehow came out ok. I wish I was keeping this package.:(
All tips and comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Osage Knife 015.jpg
    Osage Knife 015.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Osage Knife 014.jpg
    Osage Knife 014.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 80
Holy Smokes!

...I'm not seein' the "noob" thing happenin' though.

That's yet another area I know nothing about: leather.

Well done.

BC

shank nice design. Are you drilling the thread holes?

shank nice design. Are you drilling the thread holes?

Yes Boss.
I learned the drilling from your tutorial on your website...thanks. I used your tutorial to make my very first sheath but I didnt use the metal clip. I copied this design off a tutorial so I cant take credit for that. Its hard to be original....every time I think i have done something new I come across where someone else has done it already.

Holy Smokes!

...I'm not seein' the "noob" thing happenin' though.

That's yet another area I know nothing about: leather.

Well done.

BC

Thanks Bill but really this sheath was almost ready for the scrap pile. I still dont know how it turned out this good. Its not world class or anything but its pretty good for me. I was scratching my head thru this whole thing...even the dye job was botched but it somehow looks ok. Never give up I guess..

OK, update to the drilling technique.

I still use my drill press but instead of a bit, I chuck up an big thick (1/16th) needle. I turn on the drill and just punch my way around the sheath where I have my marks. The hole opens up and slightly burnishes. When you stitch it, there is enough opening to easily slide the needle and thread through it. Then I always wet it or use antique stain to wet the holes so they close up slightly around the burnished hole. It looks much better.

OK, update to the drilling technique.

I still use my drill press but instead of a bit, I chuck up an big thick (1/16th) needle. I turn on the drill and just punch my way around the sheath where I have my marks. The hole opens up and slightly burnishes. When you stitch it, there is enough opening to easily slide the needle and thread through it. Then I always wet it or use antique stain to wet the holes so they close up slightly around the burnished hole. It looks much better.

Thanks again. I will try the heavy needle in the press.

Back