Now and Then

Gliden07

20190707_134055.jpg
So I decided to recreate the first knife I built just over 2 years ago. The rules for me was I wasn't going to look at my first knife but I would use the pattern. So I traced it out on the 01 1/8"× 1" same as the original was made with, Micarta handle and I don't use the 1/4" pins anymore (unless it's a lanyard hole). This is how the copy came out! WOW, what a difference!! When I was building it I felt I was making it the same. The original was loosly patterned after a Walter Sorrels Tactix knife called the "Agent". If anyone wants to tag there first and last knife made tack it on I'd love to see the differences.

Last edited:
Yes, you certainly can see the improvements, especially in the handle. Better finish on the blade but have some serious scratches by the choil. I'm sure I'm not telling you something that you have not already noticed. I can't really tell if you have fine scratches on the ricasso or if that's just the way the light is hitting it.

Doug

Yes, you certainly can see the improvements, especially in the handle. Better finish on the blade but have some serious scratches by the choil. I'm sure I'm not telling you something that you have not already noticed. I can't really tell if you have fine scratches on the ricasso or if that's just the way the light is hitting it.

Doug
I noticed them after I took the pic? I dont know where they came from as it was perfect 2 days ago?? Just clamp it and run some 600 down it.

It is amazing as we ply our craft how time at the wheel and bench improve each knife. As you stated above, I've gotten knives ready for their glamor shot and when I look a the picture wonder 'how did that scratch or mark get there!' Thanks for sharing and I will tag on and I'll share one of my first knives with progression the latest one.
So for a few of the first ones:

About a year later:

Six months ago:

Last one off the bench:

These types of posts are always fun, so I'll play along. The first pic is one of my first folders that I made in 2013 for my Dad who still carries it in his pocket. The second and third pics are of the last knife that I completed.

Beautiful. What is the material on the latest one? Vintage micarta? I’d like to acquire some of that.
It’s natural Micarta. I think I purchased it from Boss Dog a while back. I can’t remember for sure. It does have that vintage look to it.

Back