NOW....I can let them be seen

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Now that Tim has unwrapped them, this is what I've spent my shop time on since about August. This stupid Lupus and Lung Disease never lets me know when I can work....but it sure puts me down on zero notice. Anyway, hopefully I can pry them away from Tim long enough to photo them all individually..... but for now, here's a pic Tim took of the "Camping Set" I made for him. Camp Knife of 1084, Hatchet of 52100, and an Axe with a body of 4140, with a 1080 "bit" forge welding in. The Knife and Hatchet have a handle material that Tracy sells called "Ultrex".... G10/rubber layers. You have to get used to working with it....but it makes for a super "grippy" handle....both dry and wet. I stenciled flames on each with black Gun-Kote, then went over that with Satin Clear. I'm sure they'll get scuffed and scratched over time....but hey, that's what I make em for.

Last edited:

SS369

Turned out gorgeous Ed!
Any particular tips on finishing the Ultrex (Suretouch?)?
Hope you can hit the shop more.

Scott

Randy Lucius

KNIFE MAKER
Super nice Ed! Glad to see you getting some shop time. Been meaning to order some Ultrex from Tracy. Thanks for the reminder.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I found that you CANNOT treat the Ultrex like regular micarta! The rubber layers make is "softer"....forcing changes in how I applied the material. First scales I installed I tighten the loveless bolts down too much....and pulled one through the Ultrex! OOOPS! It's difficult to "feel" the bottom of the hole, without putting too much pull on the "nuts". I also found that it's best NOT to try to flare any thong hole tubing..... it will "tear" the layers apart. Just glue any thong hole tubing in place....then GENTLY sand it down to where you want it (I used the grinder, but learned you gotta be super slow and can't let ANY heat build up.

Finishing: I finished out on the grinder at 220grit.....then taped off everything except the handles, and bead/sand blasted. Then a SINGLE/SUPER LIGHT coat of Tru-Oil (used it as a sealer), wiped off with a clean shop towel, and let it dry (overnight).....done!

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
That is super cool Ed, Tim will keep those always I am sure. I have always wanted to do a Nessmuk Trio and now that Christmas is over I may have time to do it soon. Great set again.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
So how does the axe fit in the case
What? You can't tell? That's a "collapsible" Hickory handle...... very difficult to find that type of lumber. :)

NOT! Actually, we purchased the case for Tim.....for his camera equipment..... then decided to "hide" the camp knife in the case...... the hatchet and ax we wrapped separate..... then Tim came up with this photo setup.

cdent

I might be wrong, but did you tell Tim that he has kind of a special blade. I don't think Caffrey recurves grow on trees. Reminds me, I can still remember your demo at Steve's first hammerin, controlling how the steel moved with your angle peen hammer. That 'camp knife' has a quite the length, must have been at least a little of a pain, even for superman:oops:. Great package, great stuff.