Number 4 for me, first time I post pictures

Pelallito

Hello,
I have finally finished some knives and here is # 4- O1 steel, 3" blade, 4" handle 7/16th at thickest point. brass homemade loveless bolts, has snap retainer in handle. Cocobolo handle. Sharpened top and bottom. Sheath is my 4th. Hope you like.
Fred
#4 1.jpg
#4 2.jpg
#4 3.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting design on the sheath. What is the purpose of having the bottom squared? The stitching looks great. The size of the bolts is so large the effect is rather jarring, but that's a matter of taste. I think that the guard could be a little thinner for that size of a blade, which looks really good for #4. I'm having problems too with getting the handle right. That led me to break down and get a set of French curves, cost all of $7 and change with tax, and sketch things out on graph paper. It doesn't help that I'm so artistically challenged that stick figures are more than I can manage. Hopefully I can make my rest handles better.

Doug

Last edited:
Doug,
Thanks for the kind words.
I made the bolts large so that they would be the same diameter as the snap that is in the handle, I don't think I will do that again.. Sheath is squared off because this is a bad version of the Loveless NYC special and its sheath is made this way. I sarted this knife from a pdf of a Loveless catalog on J. Dentons site. I just chose something that looked interesting and guessed at sizes. I did not know it was a double grind until I had cut out the outline. LOL.
The guard is a little oversized for the blade, but gives a positive stop for fingers. I need to improve just about everything in my knifemaking, but at least I am finally finishing some knives. I don't know how many I started and scraped.
I also bought a set of french curves recently along with a flexible ruler.
Thanks again,
Fred

I did something similar with washers held down by cutlers rivets to give the knife with eyes effect that can be seen on some Hudson Bay trade knives but on a smaller knife. Didn't work too well either. I guess we can chalk our artistic ideas up to something we had to try but it just didn't work the way we thought it would. You did well with the double grind. They're not easy to get right.

Doug

Fred, your photos don't show this knife off as well as it looks when you hold it in your hand. I just realized that I didn't give you the piece of leather that's sitting in the family room. Oh well I will just tell the wife the family room has become the new leather storage area. LOL

Last edited:
Yes, that is reminiscent of the Loveless NYC special.

From my few conversations with the late Mr Loveless at his Saturday shop meetings open to all. This sheath was squared off so it would help disguise the outline of the bottom of the sheath when worn inside the belt/pants. If you wish to make more Fighter knives you can go wrong with studying Bob's Tactical knives.

Double hollow grinds are not the easiest to get even and you have done well for the one you have dubbed No 4.

You can make the handle pins and guard as large or small as you find attractive and/or functional, Dare to be different!

Keep your nose to the Grindstone.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence, thanks for the encouragement and advice!!
George,
I will take that off your hands, one of these days. And thanks for the kind words.
Fred

Back