One for my brother...

funkyjedi

I know not every knife has a story, but this one does. About 7 years ago my Mother passed away from cancer. About that time my brother and I really stopped talking. For lots of reasons, most pretty lame, but it happened. About a month ago, I got a message from him asking about how much one of my knives would cost. I, of course said for him, it's free, all he had to do was pick a style. He poked around and came up with something like this.
I got to work. It's w2 with an elk shed handle I found last summer hiking through the Rocky Mountains in Estes Park. Its got a stainless bolster, some file work and a pretty vivid hamon.
I left a lot more "character" on the blade than I normally do, but since its for my brother, I figured he wouldnt mind some imperfections.
Anyway, here it is, hopefully its a conversation starter for he and I--and we can keep those going. Funny how these sharp pieces of steel can do that... right?

20180109_235611.jpg 20180109_235653.jpg 20180109_235715.jpg 20180109_235919.jpg 20180110_000004.jpg

Knives with stories are the best-
I'll bet he was pleased (or will be if he doesn't have it yet)! -thx for sharing it.
That's an interesting sharpening notch- I've never seen one like that before (but there's a lot of things I haven't seen). Kinda fits the knife tho.
I have a brother who refuses to have anything to do with me- or pretty much all the family. It's sad, Life's too short...and we used to be very close as young kids running the creeks with our BB Guns and setting traps. I'm gonna say a prayer for some healing for you guys!

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate it.

Yeah, the sharpening notch was done on a whim. I drew it up in Illustrator, and liked the squared look. I never really do many the same twice, so little tweaks here and there are fun to try. I have never made one like this will a fuller or even this big of a clip point. But, my brother found a knife I re-handled for someone a while ago on my site and said he liked it, so I kind of followed it.

Great knife and sheath and the story well..............it sorta fits with family. Love them,..............,or not, they are still family.

There was three of us boys and two girls. I still got an older sister. Haven't seen her since our Mama passed. You know the moments in life that throw us together don't always bring out the best in us! One thing I have learned is there is only one thing that counts is family, as life is pretty damn lonely without them!!
I lost a sister afew years ago to cancer. She was diagnosed and two days later had a massive stroke and never came out of it! We hadn't spoke in years, I tried to get home to let her know I still loved. I never made it, I drove 26 hrs. straight thru to see her and she passed that day while I was on the road. I didn't know till I got in that night! Back before cell phones were common! Made up my mind I would try never to let that happen again!!

I am sure your brother will appreciate the work on this one and who knows maybe, just maybe y'all will start a new chapter in life!! Here's hoping so!

Back