One of the things that drives me crazy about Forum posting.

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
Have you ever seen a forum question that you have enough good answers for that you start writing a post that takes a couple of minutes, but when you hit "enter" you see that while you were typing somebody already answered? But that is not the real problem, the answer that was posted in those two minutes is the totally opposite information from what is in your post, so much so that it looks like your post is a direct challenge to the post that you never saw before you yourself hit enter. So then you find yourself deleting that long piece of input, that ate a part of your day, to avoid any misunderstandings. Arrgg, I hate that!

Or.. Have you ever seen a question that is on one of those hot-button issues and you find yourself typing, so fast that your fingers bleed, in order to beat any other posters who will see your answer and feel it is taking them to task for their answer that you are trying so hard to get ahead of? I'll confess that there have been times when I have quickly typed an incomplete sentence and hit "post" just to have it recorded that I started answering before any of the people that I will contradict, and then finished the post with edits.

Maybe it is because well thought out posts, with sound data, takes time while quick quips and opinions only takes seconds for a one liner. It is probably why formats like Twitter are really nothing more than inane chatter, I don't know, but it can make online discussions a real challenge at times.

KenH

Kevin,Please do understand when you post, the world sits up to listen. We ALL fully respect your knowledge and greatly appreciate your sharing with the rest of us mere mortals. As to your point, I'm not sure I've ever seen a post by you that contradicted a previous post by somebody who's knowledge I respected as I do your knowledge and experience. I know it must get frustrating for you at times, but please don't give up on us.

Ken H>

John Wilson

I can only speak for myself, Kevin, but if you made a post countermanding my own, I would appreciate the correction.

We can only know what we believe we know, and much of what we learn along the way is wrong. Life is a learning process.

I certainly hope you would not hold back sharing your knowledge just to avoid the possibility of a person misreading your post as an affront. Nobody familiar with you would suspect that to be your intention.

Having said that, differences of opinion are useful. That is the only way to flesh out an idea at times.

John Wilson

Something we all need to remember is that internet forums are not classrooms or white papers. They are forums where people speak freely. I believe it is a mistake to only expect verifiable information shared by experts.

Some information will be opinion. Some will be folklore that geys handed down. But sometimes it is scientific and expert, and we are all super lucky to get that.

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I can only speak for myself, Kevin, but if you made a post countermanding my own, I would appreciate the correction.

We can only know what we believe we know, and much of what we learn along the way is wrong. Life is a learning process.

I certainly hope you would not hold back sharing your knowledge just to avoid the possibility of a person misreading your post as an affront. Nobody familiar with you would suspect that to be your intention.
I totally agree with this.

BrandantR

There are about 5 individuals here on the forum that if I see a post made by them, I always read it. You, Kevin, are one of them. There is a lot of misinformation out there and it's a breath of fresh air to hear some truth from a true expert. Please don't stop sharing your knowledge with us.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Have you ever seen a forum question that you have enough good answers for that you start writing a post that takes a couple of minutes, but when you hit "enter" you see that while you were typing somebody already answered? But that is not the real problem, the answer that was posted in those two minutes is the totally opposite information from what is in your post, so much so that it looks like your post is a direct challenge to the post that you never saw before you yourself hit enter. So then you find yourself deleting that long piece of input, that ate a part of your day, to avoid any misunderstandings. Arrgg, I hate that!

Or.. Have you ever seen a question that is on one of those hot-button issues and you find yourself typing, so fast that your fingers bleed, in order to beat any other posters who will see your answer and feel it is taking them to task for their answer that you are trying so hard to get ahead of? I'll confess that there have been times when I have quickly typed an incomplete sentence and hit "post" just to have it recorded that I started answering before any of the people that I will contradict, and then finished the post with edits.

Maybe it is because well thought out posts, with sound data, takes time while quick quips and opinions only takes seconds for a one liner. It is probably why formats like Twitter are really nothing more than inane chatter, I don't know, but it can make online discussions a real challenge at times.
Yes...I find on some forums people almost seem to be looking for a scrap. This forum is peopled by fairly kind individuals making it less stressful to do damage control. I have had to apologise and/or re-clarify statements on here a few times over the last few years...often because of the linear posting while I was typing.

I pretty much quit posting on a machinist's site as I became weary of hearing beginner's methodology being touted as "Thee" way to do some operation...often times things I had discarded 10-15 years earlier....for a much better way. And then being aggressively challenged by 3-5 year experienced machinists when trying to share...over....and over....sigh. I get tired of online "macho"....just done with it....

We seemingly live in an age where passion trumps empirical knowledge...the louder you can shout online the more true your opinion must be....

Logic? Experimentation? Testing? What's that??? Lol!

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Yep, that is very true. I have said that I tend to stick with simple explainations but that does not mean I do not like to read detailed info. Kevin has forgotten more about steel than I know. Most of the time I have to look up words and read the post three times but I do like having the info.

KenH

We seemingly live in an age where passion trumps empirical knowledge...the louder you can shout online the more true your opinion must be....
Boy, isn't that the case! Ted, you have such a way with words {g}

I do think this is one of the most friendly forums around. That's why I like it so much here.... and how much I can learn.

Last edited:

Merle

Boy, isn't that the case! I do think this is one of the most friendly forums around. That's why I like it so much here.... and how much I can learn.
Agreed! As a new knife maker I lurked around several of the popular blade forums and this one struck me as having the most friendly and cool atmospheres, which is why I chose to register here. (Nothing against the other places, this one just jumped out at me as more inviting.)

C Craft

Kevin, there has been times when I referred discussion over to you because, I was pretty sure what I was reading was backwards from the truth. Or so misconstrued that it made no sense!

When I first got interested in this field of actually making custom knives instead of knife shaped objects. I saw some knives made by a fellar named Wick Ellbere, www.wickellerbe.com/ It did not take me long to realize he knew what he was talking about and he did not mind my stupid newbie questions. We talked back and forth quite extensively and he never got tired of me asking about things. The next thing he told me has always stuck with me. He told me if I ever saw anything by Kevin Cashen and/or Karl Anderson to pay strict attention to it!! I have never forgotten that Kevin!

Please do continue to do your instructional commentary! You told me one time I asked good questions. You have always had good answers and either I am getting more informed or you have dummied down to my level. I only have to go back and re-read every once in a while!! :p

Doug Lester

Humm...never thought about starting a post then posting it and then going back under edit to complete it to hold my place in line. Luckily no one would mistake me as much of an authority.

Doug

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
Kevin, rather than deleting your post maybe you should edit it to say that you are not challenging the other individual or some such. It would be better to have your input and let the community see both sides. Then they have to opportunity to make up their own minds.
Wayne

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Well I was thinking about this and I think I know the problem but not the solution. When most of us reply it is simple in nature. When you reply its full of data and stuff so it takes you longer. We just beat you to the punch lol. The other problem, about the contradiction stuff is unavoidable because when it occurs you are posting blind so to speak. All you can do is add a polite edit. The problem with text or forum communication is that it is a very poor way to communicate effectively. Like 90% of our intended message tends to be communicated through paralanguage or what most call body language. Inflection, tone, facial expression and hand gestures to name a few. This is why so many comments on forums or in texts are misconstrued. I am as guilty as anyone of this. I know there is more than one way to do anything. Just because its my way does not mean its the only way or even the best way. Lately when I have responded to a question I try to include things like “in my experience” or “IMO” to try and combat misunderstandings. I have not witnessed anyone post just stupid misinformation intentionally on this forum. When there is contradiction or correction its mainly because another person has more knowledge or a better method not because the OP was just spreading bad info. If I post something on here its because in my studies or experience I have encountered it. I have to assume others do the same. Just because someone has a better way or more info does not mean I was wrong or spreading “bad” info. Look, the person who posts that “1018 makes a fine blade” needs to be corrected or contradicted. If I post that you can heat 1095 to just past non magnetic then a minute more and get good results but you know a soak at XXXX dehrees will be better that is not a contradiction or an afront to me. I wonder if people realize this at times. In short, we all need to realize text is a poor means of communication and unless someone makes it personal intentionally and obviously then it more than likely was not personal. Rambling over...sorry.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
It would also be cool if the forums had the ability to show exactly when we began typing our response...Like a little clock at the top...or "Post began at 10:20 pm"

I am a two finger typer. Today I typed a response on a forum that was almost exactly the same as what a friend of mine posted 30 secs or so earlier...he knew I wasn't gleeping his stuff but still...had it been a different person it could have been awkward...lol.