Opinion on 1075

Randy Lucius

Just about all of my knives have been made with Aldo's 1084. I'll probably need to order some more steel soon and Aldo's website says he is out 1084 in the thickness and width that I use. How does 1075 compare to 1084? He has that in stock. Pretty much the same as far as heat treating? I've read that 1075 takes a hamon better than 1084.

I like 1075 and use it for most of my knives because people like the looks of a hamon. 1084 produces more of a temper line than a hamon. In my limited experience 1075 does heat treat differently in a kiln vs 1084. When I was using a forge my process was the same.

I've read on other forums that the 1075 is easier to heat treat and is tougher than 1095. Again this is what I have read and have not tested it myself. A search on google will get you to the other blade forum where it is discussed at much length.

1075 of course is high carbon on the lower end of the spectrum. What I like about 1075 is that it holds an edge fairly well and it is a whole lot easier to re-sharpen by the customer, than some of high end steels. That is a win to me as most folks are not good at sharpening a knife. However as anything else their is always a trade off! If not cleaned up and dried down after use, their is always the potential for rust!!

You'll like the steel and the hamon that it produces. If you want a starting point for heat treat let me know I'll PM you.
Thanks Ty. I don’t have a heat treating oven yet so I’ll have to use my mini forge but I’ll still be looking for advice.

Back