Orange Crush LIVES!!!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
After writing a hefty check, and getting things reinstalled, Orange Crush is back in business! About the only thing left of the old cylinder is the body/case, and the rod end cap..... everything else is new stem to stern. I also replaced all the seals in the rolling mill's control valve....so unless I pull something boneheaded, we should be good to go.....hopefully for a LONG time. Overall it was about 1/2 the cost of having a new cylinder built.....so I'm thankful.

The unit that powers both Orange Crush and the rolling mill is a 39hp/4 cyl. Kubota diesel engine, with a 49.5 liter (I think that works out to around 13 GPM), single stage pump, lovejoy coupled to the flywheel. It sits on the "back porch" of the shop, with the hoses running down the side of the shop and through the wall. It's actually a really good setup.... rather then burning the bearings out of the electric meter, I just go to the local farm co-op about once a month and buy 10 gallons of dyed diesel...... it works out to about $20 a month to run it....of course that's aside from any parts/repairs. :)

Good job Ed!! I hate when my equipment is down...my bridgeport mill quit on me and I don't have time to fix it right now.(or money enough to have it fixed...)

glad you are up and going!

Back