Our screen names

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
On a recent thread in shop talk Sound Mind posted this
Thanks, Garry, (sorry I called you Von before, I thought that was your first name).

I thought it might be a worthwhile thread to have a discussion on our screen names, why we have them, our actual names (if apropriate) and what we would rather be called on the forum

This is how I became who I am on the forums.

On Aug 30 2005 this little guy was born and came to live with us soon afterwards.
nBrfljWl.jpg

He came from the Grauvolk stud which simply means Greyfolk. On his stud papers he is Grauvolk Bruno Von Gruff . The Von [fɔn] is a term used in German language surnames as a nobiliary particle indicating a noble patrilineality The Gruff came from a little Schnauser bitch who was called Steffy Gruff after the tennis player so it was natural fit as part of Bruno's name.
He quickly became part of our hearts and and our lives became much richer because of his being part of our family so when I started visiting forums soon after that and needed a screen name it was a no brainer to choose Von Gruff
For screen and posting usage I am happy to be called Gruff in preference to Von although my name is Garry and I will answer to that as well.
Bruno became very distinguished into his adulthood but sadly we lost him in June 2017.
NjdOCosl.jpg

Last edited:
I know many of you use your actual names on the forums but I have got a certain name recognition on a number of forums under the Von Gruff name and it was reinforced on the AH forum where I initially got (and predominantly get) orders for my knives when I started to sell them and the members were posting reviews on their Von Gruff knives so the name has become a central part of my visibility on and off the forums.

So who else has a story and a reason for continuing to use a screen name in preference to their actual name and who has dropped a screen name for commercial or other reasons.

Last edited:
I've actually been debating changing my various forum handles across the board to simply be "Drew Riley" or perhaps "Andrew Riley".
I picked "AR Custom Knives" as there was already a smith using "Riley Custom Knives" if I recall correctly, so I figured I'd just use my first and last initials. Problem now is, most people call me Drew anyway... hahah

I put both in my sig line anyway, but still, I think it'd be easier to just start going by my name and be done with it.

Nice pup ))
Well I think my screen name kind of speaks for itself, though I was retired at the ripe age of 47 around 5 years ago which is when I decided to concentrate on the knives. I have also been changing my screen names on forums to my own name, Peter Eaton and I think there is a knife maker in the US who shares the same name?

My name is Mark and you can call me Mark, Retro or you can call me for supper. Like others, I just chose something a long time ago based on an interest. I enjoy history. Anything from WW2 to who invented the ketchup packet. (Interesting fact, the ketchup packet was originally designed to hold grease) . Boy Bruno was handsome.

When you have a name like John Wilson you can blend into any crowd undetected. I once did an internet search on my name and came back with about two bazillion hits. Narrowing it to my city didn’t help. I figured if I can’t even find myself then I’m probably safe from the government.

I do not have anything interesting to add because that is my real name and I post under it because if someone ever has a problem with one of my knives or other creations I want to be easy to find so I can fix it. The name Redeemer Forge is a better story. While I was contemplating the universe one day I realized that Blacksmithing was strikingly similiar to salvation. Steel is a wonderful resource in that it can be infinitely reshaped and remade into useful and even beautiful things made for a purpose. Even junk steel can be “redeemed” to be something new, beautiful and useful. I realized that people are just like steel. No matter what you have done or how much like junk you feel, you can be Redeemed through a saving knowledge of Jesus. He works people into to new, beautiful and useful creations. I also realized He uses the same methods at times employing heat, pressure and fire to your life in order to create you anew but that information is for another time.

My screen name is just my regular name. I always thought it was funny on one of the big forums that you had to actually PAY to use your real name. Glad this forum isn't the same way. This forum along with the ABS forum are the only forums I still frequent. Those two are what forums should be.

My screen name is my first name with the first initial of my last name, Brandant Robinson. My first name came about when my parents lived in a small trailer court when they were first married. They liked the names Brandon and Brandt, but there were other kids in the trailer court with those names. So, my parents hybridized the two and came up with Brandant, which I've been stuck with ever since. It's pronounced like Brandon with a t sound added at the end. Doesn't roll off the tongue very well, but I've never met or even heard of another guy named Brandant, probably because no one wants it ;).

My screen name is my first name with the first initial of my last name, Brandant Robinson. My first name came about when my parents lived in a small trailer court when they were first married. They liked the names Brandon and Brandt, but there were other kids in the trailer court with those names. So, my parents hybridized the two and came up with Brandant, which I've been stuck with ever since. It's pronounced like Brandon with a t sound added at the end. Doesn't roll off the tongue very well, but I've never met or even heard of another guy named Brandant, probably because no one wants it ;).

Well I have two middle names if that makes you feel any better. LOL

Back in my Military career I was teaching survival on Spencer glacier and had a reporter come out .He wrote a magazine article about our unit and the training .He called me a Yule Gibbons type wild man and I never heard the end of it,Even when I rotated out of the unit the plack that the presented me with said SFC Wildman Paul Baker.It became my CB handle,we used a lot of CBs in Alaska before cell phones out in the remote areas .Anyway that's how I ended up with the handle of Wildman.

Short and sweet, my last name is Lindeman. I was a pilot in the Air Force so some thought I should be called Lucky Lindy. Then shortened to Lindy. Fast forward to about three years ago when I started making knives, I was going to go by Lindys knives. Well , that is already out there on the internet. So, MikeL it is. I go by mjlknives on the internet. Makers mark is MJLindeman.

Last edited:
I started out with a screen name like droptine or something, then I quickly realized your real name and reputation is important in the knife world and I wanted to be taken serious. So I quickly changed it to my real name.

This was the main reason I changed mine recently. I was on here for quite some time as DropPoint. It was actually the only thing I could think of off hand when I signed up originally. Plus I find when my real name is out in the open I'm more responsible about keeping commitments, etc. Not that I'm irresponsible, but it ups my game knowing that my personal reputation might be on the line.

Back