Parks 50# quench

bubba-san

Hey folks , I ran out of quench oil ... Where can I buy some parks 50 . ?? I know Kelly Cupples has some but, shipping from Washington state to Missouri is brutal ! Anyone Know of a closer Vendor ??

or does someone have 5-10 gal. they want to sell ? drop me a PM I will get right back to you .... Thanks Bubba

Hmmm maxim oil wont sell less than 55 gals as does Parks ?? I wonder why the mfg. of these products make it so difficult to buy ...?

Guess I will go to walmart and buy 5 gals of 20 weight non detergent motor oil . It is a polymer based oil and has approx. same viscosity as parks ... I refuse to pay 200 $ for five gals Parks oil delivered . I need a very fast quench for Japanese blades.... I would use water instead but, the blade belongs to someone else. Water quenching is tricky, for 1095 in water only needs a 3-4 sec. quench too much more and you will hear the dreaded ping......

Last edited:
I've had the same story with AAA and Parks 50. A local oil distributor here told me the same thing, 55 gal barrel only. This is where having a local knife makers club would be awesome, ten guys go in together and split the drum.

I think the price should go down ! in light of the fact the crude oil is 45 bucks a barrel and parks is a petroleum product . Its called price gouging .... pitiful

Good idea , we tried that once . The maker who takes the shipment better have a fork truck or a tractor with a loader bucket . Also have room for drop shipment , in other words it comes by tractor trailer . If someone wants to take a shipment , I would be interested . I will take 10 Gals. Can I get an Amen ......

I could just see a group of us meeting in a Walmart parking lot, tipping over a 55 gal barrel of oil and pouring it into smaller containers.

that's weird, i have purchased parks from maxim fairly recently, and i recommended someone a friend to them just back in march and he had no problem buying 5 gallons. i'm confused by your experience. if it helps, i spoke to "carla" at 817 293 4645. she was very helpful and our conversation led me to believe that they dealt with small shop knife makers all the time and that a small 5 gallon order was nothing out of the ordinary, and no big deal at all.

that's weird, i have purchased parks from maxim fairly recently, and i recommended someone a friend to them just back in march and he had no problem buying 5 gallons. i'm confused by your experience. if it helps, i spoke to "carla" at 817 293 4645. she was very helpful and our conversation led me to believe that they dealt with small shop knife makers all the time and that a small 5 gallon order was nothing out of the ordinary, and no big deal at all.

I will give her a call . I wonder why they told me earlier that it was only available in 55 gal drums ? Its possible I just got in touch with wrong salesperson , thanks for Tip Bubba

I found out what happened ... the person who answered phone , connected me to the commercial accounts , They wanted me to buy several 55 gal drums full.

when I called back today , I forgot it was Saturday ... they were closed . They sent me email confirming my commercial account ??? I probably checked a wrong box somewhere ?

When I call back Monday I will ask for Carla , I am sure she can straighten it out. In the meantime I will test a blade ( clayed) in 20 weight Non D motor oil . I mean Viscosity modifiers are all the same thing . It may work as well

as parks. I still say parks 50 is way out of line in their price structure . 5 years ago it was a 100$ now its 200 shipped . The price of oil as a commodity, has dropped since then .:what!:

What you're your mainly paying for is the increase in shipping hazardous materials fees. I got some 3 years ago shipped for $120 to me. 6 months ago it was $155. The oil was $5 more than the first time.

55 gallons??? Ha Ha Ha!!! When I read your reply, Bubba, I was laughing! Some sort of communication break down happened along the line! 5 gallons shipped across Texas ( about 18 months ago) was $120. And when I finally got the Parks 50, it totally changed the ball game with heat treating W2 and 1095.

Hey George , The first dealer I asked (Kelly Cupples) he wanted 150 + 45 $ shipping ? I said whaaaat . When I got hold of Maxim it was 92.00 plus 25 shipping ! now that's more like it. I am going to send some parks to a friend of mine who is Engineer for Phillips Petro . He is sending it to their Lab and will tell me exactly whats in it along with the lab report . He seems to think its just a regular non detergent motor oil with a specific viscosity modifier Polymer in it . They help maintain the viscosity when its hot or cold. When I find out I will post it up on KD . In the knife world we all need a break . If you just mention Knives or swords , it seems everything is twice as high .Parks does a nice job almost as good as water or salt bath but, a lot less chance of breaking or cracking .... It was funny when they wanted to ship me 2- 55 gal drums .:what!:

Distributor here says he can't get it. Looks like Maxim at $92 is your best option. I asked Carla about the barrel price, and you'd only save about a $1/gal that way, not counting shipping. So, unless you happen to be within driving distance or passing through Dallas, don't think it would help much. I was needing some AAA too, and she says that's only $57/bucket.

Back