Pastor's Knife

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Finally got around to making my pastor a knife plus a sheath. The blade was forged out of a piece of 3/4" 60 grade rebar. Since he was in my shop when I forged the blade I thought I'd use the forging for his knife. Use a piece of curly maple that was saved out of the firewood rack and used some aluminum bronze that I aged. First sheath I made in several years and it turned out better than I expected. The knife is around 10" overall.

Attachments

• IMG_6209.jpg
    IMG_6209.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6211.jpg
    IMG_6211.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 73
Beautiful work!
I would love to know how you finished the handle (Maple?) and how the sheath was made.
Top shelf right there. I know he will be mighty pleased.

Beautiful work!
I would love to know how you finished the handle (Maple?) and how the sheath was made.
Top shelf right there. I know he will be mighty pleased.
Thanks..... As far as the handle goes its sand, sand, sand. Dyed it with the same dye I use on the sheath.. Then sand, sand some more. I used a water based finish that a hardwood floor finisher had given me. I'll need to check on the name. I put 4 or 5 coats on with a light sanding between coats. Used my finger as the brush.

I make a two layer sheath, inner and outer. I first wet form the inner sheath around the knife. When that dries I can make adjustments as necessary Then I'll put contact cement on the front and in this case I'd fasten the diamond shapes to the inner sheath. After this process coat the whole sheath with contact cement and apply the finish piece of leather that also has contact cement on it. Lots of steps so could be continued later.

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpg
    IMG_4173.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 31
Thanks..... As far as the handle goes its sand, sand, sand. Dyed it with the same dye I use on the sheath.. Then sand, sand some more. I used a water based finish that a hardwood floor finisher had given me. I'll need to check on the name. I put 4 or 5 coats on with a light sanding between coats. Used my finger as the brush.

I make a two layer sheath, inner and outer. I first wet form the inner sheath around the knife. When that dries I can make adjustments as necessary Then I'll put contact cement on the front and in this case I'd fasten the diamond shapes to the inner sheath. After this process coat the whole sheath with contact cement and apply the finish piece of leather that also has contact cement on it. Lots of steps so could be continued later.
Thanks and the hard work and elbow grease shows

That is an interesting shape at the ricasso is it an original design or are there historic examples?
First time with this shape ricasso and will be doing it again.

My turn, I'm assuming the black thing above Redeemer Forge is an anvil, is that an original design?

First time with this shape ricasso and will be doing it again.

My turn, I'm assuming the black thing above Redeemer Forge is an anvil, is that an original design?
Why the ugly response? I was asking a serious question, totally un-called for sir. I like the shape and if it was first used by a person, people, country other entity or in some historic period I would like to know because we are all here to learn. Furthermore, if I decided to use the shape in the future and it was your original design I would want to ask your permission or at the least give you credit for it.

Last edited:
Why the ugly response? I was asking a serious question, totally un-called for sir. I like the shape and if it was first used by a person, people, country other entity or in some historic period I would like to know because we are all here to learn. Furthermore, if I decided to use the shape in the future and it was your original design I would want to ask your permission or at the least give you credit for it.
What ugly response?

Back