PayPay Acceptable use policy

Knifemaker.ca

Dealer - Purveyor
Made a PayPal payment for some Chad Nichols Stainless Damascus yesterday. Paypal marked the payment pending because it "May not meet our acceptable use policy". I spoke to a rep on the phone (kudos PayPal.) She told me it was flagged because it contained the word "Knife" (our company name - Canadian Knifemaker Supply Ltd.) It went through this morning but - as Charlie Brown would say - Good Grief!

You expect a few sheeple at trade shows - but PayPal?

Rob!

So they just review it and then approve it? I was wanting to bee able to collect payment from people via PayPal eventually so the title just can't have knife in it?

Gentleman,
I have heard of people having transactions denied by paypal because it has the words Fighting or fighter knife. I tried to sell a Push knife on ebay and it got flagged as a violation and I received a call frm a polite lady that this was an "Infraction" because the real purpose of that kind of knife is hurting someone.

Ebay & paypal are the same company as far as I know. Anyway! Watch you're wording etc cause its only going to get worse.

Instead of knife you could try (Fluffy bunny sticker) or (pig sticker) just a thought that might help let it slide

A couple things to consider.

1. Paypal prohibits weapons sales through their service. Their software will automatically flag payments with weapons listed. They are not necessarily against knives. They are against weapons.
2. Paypal routinely researches on forums, like this one for AUP (acceptable use policy) violations. We have had members here lose their Paypal account for life due to AUP violations around raffles.
3. If Paypal finds evidence that you are being deceptive and using their service in violation of their AUP (ie mis-labling payments, using their gift option for a business transaction, etc.) you will lose your account with no appeal.

It is probably not a good idea to discuss in a public forum how you will get around any AUP. Just saying.

It is probably not a good idea to discuss in a public forum how you will get around....
Boss said it best there - I expect the same applies to PM msgs also, and not even sure about emails.

Ken H>

hunting, camping, kitchen, pocket knives, etc Paypal doesn't have a problem with.

Knives that are referred to as weapons ie military knives, self defense, etc are in violation of their no weapons policy.

The process is their software flags it based on key word search and every single transaction is reviewed by their software. A human reviews it and makes a decision whether the transaction is in violation or not. Their decision in many cases is final. Some time ago we used to sell Protech auto's. We dropped them due to a conflict with PayPal's policy. Paypal is a big part of our business and we don't take any chances about violations of their AUP.

Might be wrong here but I think Paypal and Fleabay are under the same parent company and they want nothing to do with a probable lawsuit. It's one of those "no tolerance policies" that we have become so famous for in this country. When a no tolerance policy goes into effect all common sense goes out the window. They seem to forget you can stick someone with a screwdriver!

OH please, let me shut up because there is nothing that gets my ire up more than stupid people, unless its stupid people in charge of policy!!!!!!!!

.... and for the record, it was just Damascus barstock - our company name flagged it. They said the hold was for 72 hours, but it was resolved the next day. Lastly, I was very impressed to find a phone number. Years ago, I had a dispute and PayPal had not yet realized Mr Bell had invented something. :) It was nice to be able to speak to a real person. It would have been even nicer to speak to someone who could resolve the problem - maybe fax them a copy of the invoice...

FWIW, I would say PayPal may actually be getting easier to deal with - not something I'm able to say about FaceBook for instance.

Good advice Tracy. I won't lie about what I'm buying, but if I'm buying mosaic pins, I'll just sign it Rob! :)

It is amazing to me that people say the policy is ok when actually it is not. If you are selling legal merchandise then the credit company should not be able to stop that transaction because they don't like your product.
When you say it is not a business transaction to save the paypal % then that is a different story and you should
never deal with someone that does that. It makes you just as liable as them. I just went thru this with a dealer and will
never deal with him again because of this.

Percy, I'm having trouble understanding your post. Could you re-phrase it for me? I'm stuck on the part about business transaction and PayPal %. Isn't the paypal fee the same for business as for personal? Clearly something happened with a dealer that really upset you and I'd like to understand it better.

Thanks

Back