Pheer or Ameribrade Grinder

Jim Levite

Looking very closely into these two machines. Wondering is anyone here has any experience with either one of these two. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Check out the DVD to build Moe's Grinder on the DVD page of my web-site. There is also a video on the Grinders page. Don't overlook the motors and VFDs.
Let me know if I can help you.

I bought a Pheer last December and couldn't be happier with it. Runs very smooth and the tracking is excellent. I upgraded to a 6" drive wheel and got the best VFD they have. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Gene, that's exactly what I was looking at. I have talked to Jose. Very nice guy. The guys who make Ameribrade are great as well. I have owned 2 KMG'S and a tw-90. Due to some endless setbacks in life I no longer have anything left. Trying to get back in the game.

Wayne, I'm definitely not interested in making a grinder. I no longer have a welder. I Would prefer to buy one and get grinding. Maybe some day as a second grinder might be an option.

Last edited:
I bought a Pheer off of Jose Navarro a few years ago and it has served me well. It runs smooth and tracks well. On mine I would have liked to see it come with a adjustable work rest. The one that came with mine was pretty basic. Also, I’m not sure how they are now, but my flat platen was made of angle iron. The corners weren’t sharp and it was wider than 2” so I had to put a 2” wide platen on it for plunge cuts and things of that nature. But overall I love it! I imagine you know this already but if you can afford it, I would not go with anything other than variable speed. The functionality of the whole machine is just greatly improved. IMHO anyway...

I agree that the Pheer tool rest is poor. Same style as the kmg. I know Ameribrade is not elaborate but it is able to pivot when needed. DD makes some good stuff for Pheer and many others so a rest is not a deal maker or breaker.

I doubt one grinds better than the other, though I'm not really a fan of rear tension springs vs front compression. For that alone, I'd probably lean towards the Pheer if those are the only two options.

One is pulled. The other compressed. Compression vs. Tension. One is meant to hold two things together while compression springs are designed to keep things from coming together. What would make the difference between those in a grinder? Thanks

Last edited:
One is pulled. The other compressed. Compression vs. Tension. One is meant to hold two things together while compression springs are designed to keep things from coming together. What would make the difference between those in a grinder? Thanks

All things being equal, there's probably not much difference, if any. From what I've seen though, the machines that use tension springs tend to use lighter weight springs than those that use compression springs of some kind. I'm sure leverage may factor in one way or the other as well, though I haven't done any calculations.
I do know that a lot of people who built the GIB grinder ended up seeing a significant improvement with tracking when changing from the original rear spring design to a front compression spring. I imagine it may be possible to over-extend a tension spring and weaken it more easily, than over-compressing a compression spring.

Again, I have no hard numbers to show, but as I said, it's just a personal preference based on some personal experience, as well as the experience of others. I'm more than willing to change my opinion if somebody has something else to show me.

I think everything you said is spot on. I'm sure over time the bent ears on a tension springs will break though easy replacement. I have read a lot of reviews and not one complaint about it.... So far

Most definitely there has to be several factors for it to be good. The Ameribrade is a proven well thought out and tested design. With all of their design work and testing. The tesion springs work very well on their machine. Many hundreds sold to date and all rave reviews! Spoke to Keven today. Definitely my next Grinder. Thank you everyone for your time and help.

Last edited:
Had a personal delay but Grinder did arrive a few days ago. Hoping to have it together and running tomorrow. Very impressed with build quality and features.

I was able to get her together and running today. Hopefully by week's end I will be grinding.

Attachments

• 982018235419.jpg
    982018235419.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 982018235446.jpg
    982018235446.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 36
You gonna enjoy your grinder!

A comment on the compression vs tension springs. The first grinder I built was a pretty close copy of the KMG clone with tension spring. Tracking was so-so. For whatever reason, I never fully understood why, but after I changed to compression the tracking improved. It might be nothing more than the amount of tension that was put on the belt. More tension (to a point) tends to make a belt track better.

You gonna enjoy your grinder!

A comment on the compression vs tension springs. The first grinder I built was a pretty close copy of the KMG clone with tension spring. Tracking was so-so. For whatever reason, I never fully understood why, but after I changed to compression the tracking improved. It might be nothing more than the amount of tension that was put on the belt. More tension (to a point) tends to make a belt track better.

I'm starting to thing leverage has much to do with it. Seems like on a lot of the "tension" spring designs, there's not much length (relatively) between the tracking arm pivot and the spring attachment, while there's as much or more distance between the position of the tracking wheel and the pivot. This puts the leverage more on the wheel side than on the spring side. When you put the spring on the other side of the fulcrum (the pivot, that is), more of that force is translated directly to the wheel/tracking arm and into the belt tension.

Or maybe I'm just making all of this up.... :D

It's just simple physics/mechanics right?

For sure it's all about leverage. That's why when folks talk about what strength springs it doesn't mean much at all unless the distance from pivot point is included. Like you Drew, I can't imagine why compression vs tension would make a bit of difference. It's just the belt tension that matters. The thing I found of most importance is the tension arm being rigid with no slack in the pivot point.

The Ameribrade has two heavy springs. It's smooth and tracks very well. I'm sure just like anything, the springs may need replacing. I'm thinking $5 and 30 seconds of labor and it will be like new. I'm happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
Back