Photos of some of my past knives! Part-1

C Craft

It has come to my attention that I haven't posted any pics of my works. Honestly that is because I haven't finished on in a while! There I said it!

However I have made knives in the past and most of those had glaring flaws. This being another reason I hadn't posted many pics. I want photos of my better works out there. There has been reasons why the knife making has been put on the back burner. But then again everyone has to deal with life, and those reasons I do not share with everyone!!

So having laid that out there I will also say this. If not having recent works disqualifies me for giving advice then you have the right to call me an arm "chair expert"!

I have never lied or told a story that I am knee deep in life and most days I get a little time to venture to the forums, and if I can I offer advice. Not all that advice is directly from knife making but all is something that I have experience with! I do not travel from forum to forum gleaning information so I can be considered somebody.

I have learned that there are different levels of knife making. I know there are those who do this for a living, those who do it for fun or hobby! I probably fall more in that last class! Although I really don't look at it as a hobby. I make knives because I have always made things, and if I can sell one now and then. Well that is the gravy of it. I can always use an extra buck of two! Although I have never made much profit at this because I usually turn right around and stick it back into the next knife!!

When I first started doing this in 2013 I had no idea of "how to" on many things! I didn't mark several of my first pieces, and when I did they were not marked well in some instances! Like many I changed my makers mark after a time!! I had no idea good pictures were what you needed for many reasons, so a lot of my pictures are of poor quality! Some were never photographed. Over the years a couple of PC crashes and things like Photo bucket shutting everyone out some of the photos I did have are gone!!

So I am going to try and present a few of the pics I do have and although I don't have WIP pictures I will try to explain the knives themselves!! I didn't even know back the what WIP meant!!

This is one of the first knives I made back when I started. This is not the original handle nor the original sheath. I was proud of this one and had no idea of the glaring flaws in it! I showed to one of the guys that I worked with and he says you need to show it too one of the other guys, he makes knives too!! So I did I showed it to him. The original sheath was a an old pliers pocket I had picked up on the side of the road! The original handle was a piece of walnut from my Dads old property. Wow what a waste. It did not fit well to the knife and I had filed the gap with liquid nails! The guard had been silver soldered on and the silver solder showed on the blade. He took and looked at it, turned it over and smiled, handed it back to me. He said, "that is a good user"! Little did I know at the time that was the kindest thing he could say about the knife. Only later I found out he was a MS!!

The steel was an old saw blade back when the body of the blades still had steel in them!! It had a braided cord the could be wrapped around the knife and tucked into the little leather tube. Making it hard to loose the knife in the field. I still have this one and it has skinned several deer!
000_0784 (3).JPG 000_0787.JPG 000_0790 (1).JPG

Back then I was doing quite a bit of BP hunting. Thus the powder horn is one of my works. 000_0627.jpg Also the bag is one of my creations. I did all the leather work on it!! Ended up selling it on Fleabay. Lesson learned there I will never sell a knife or anything else on Fleabay as everyone wants a bargain and do not appreciate good work over crap work!!

Just realized I didn't post that photo of my possibles bag!
000_0813.jpg I gave that away on fleabay. I will never sell anything without a bottom limit on purchase price. It went for half of what it was worth.
My next knives were these two! One was given to my son and the other to my son in law at Christmas one year!! 000_0957.jpg000_0960.jpg I was still learning about sheath work, and still working with the cheaper materials. The blades are 1075 and were some of my first HT by myself. The one on the left is a boning knife. It has a antler with a single pin and I wish I had a better pic of this one. I had tried aging the antler by experimenting with subtle colors rubbed into the antler itself!! The one on the right was an experiment with guards. I think a thicker guard would have looked better seeing it now days! The handle was the first time I tried contouring of a handle to give it both a better look and feel/grip!

This was a venture into my next work. I was still into the BP thing and a member of my group approached me to make a knife for his grandson! So I asked what do you want. He said I am looking for a skinner! This is what I came up with! 000_1023-1 (1).JPG The knife is 1075 and the handle is Red Oak. 000_1038 (1).JPG This was my first venture into a finger coil, as well as a pinned bolster from silver/nickel. As you can see I still did not have the pin placement down! 000_1043-1 (1).JPG I did however begin to work on something besides a plain leather pouch and I was figuring out about lighting and background!

Still working in the BP world I got some requests for reenacting pieces!!That is where this next few knives came about! I can see this is going to take a part 2. So will be continued there!!

Last edited:
Back