Picked up a Wuertz SGA for the KMG

Mudman

Thought I'd share this with you guys. I've had my eye on Travis' surface grinder attachment a while now, for the KMG.
I was finally able to pick it up, put it to work right away. So far I like it a lot, one thing to note, is that Travis designed this for his TW90. When adapted to the KMG, something I noticed right away is how much weight there is to cycle the table back and forth. Not a huge deal, but definitely a workout. Runs extremely smooth, but has a small learning curve for how fast or slow to surface grind material. If you pause at all, it will develop a groove in that area.

The nice thing, is how fast you can get a clean finish. I do have to watch the heat on blades post ht, so every few passes I will splash a little water on the blank.

Here it is setup on the grinder:

Practice piece @ 60 grit:

Something I wanted to try, but do not recommend- as it will remove a ton of material off your belts. I went straight from a 60 grit VSM to 320 Gator.

One of my bowie blanks:

Batch before:

After:

Cool. I could have used one of those a couple weeks ago.

Can you show a pic or two of the water cooled platen?

I have been looking at those for a while I need a surface grinder and that would probably do and save a ton of room. I was at a guy's shop this weekend that had 3 of the tw90 grinders and the surface grinder attachment for it . if it just wasnt for the price but that wuertz stuff is high quality may have to just pull the pin

That's a nice looking attachment and would save room in the shop verses the foot print of a surface grinder but how accurate is it for thickness gauging ? will it dial to hundreths or thousands of an inch? or does it just clean the bark off with progressively finer belts?

That's a nice looking attachment and would save room in the shop verses the foot print of a surface grinder but how accurate is it for thickness gauging ? will it dial to hundreths or thousands of an inch? or does it just clean the bark off with progressively finer belts?
In Travis' videos he's getting 5/10 of a thousand accuracy. I myself haven't tried to measure it's accuracy dead on, but it's been very good for me so far. Right now with my current batch I've just been using it to remove the bark and smooth it out, then on to a surface plate. I'll test it's accuracy soon, but for now I am using it more for speed.
That attachment is on my wish list. It sure looks good but it is not cheap
Quality isn't cheap, but you'd also have to see it in person to appreciate the design aspect. All the sliding parts move on a rod system. Very smooth. Kinda hard to explain.
I have been looking at those for a while I need a surface grinder and that would probably do and save a ton of room. I was at a guy's shop this weekend that had 3 of the tw90 grinders and the surface grinder attachment for it . if it just wasnt for the price but that wuertz stuff is high quality may have to just pull the pin
Saves a ton of room for sure, especially for me since I work under a 10x10 canopy in my backyard.
Cool. I could have used one of those a couple weeks ago.

Can you show a pic or two of the water cooled platen?
It's awesome BossDog.

I can't find any of the water cooler right now, but will snap some shots for you tomorrow. Anything specific you would like to see?

This is the only photo I have of it where you can kind of see the cooler. It works VERY well. I can grind non stop on the flat platen with the cooler, and it will only be warm to the touch.

I saw Brian Fellhoelter pic of one of those recently and talked to him about it. I sure think I need to have one of those.

OMG I think I just heard it again, ka-ching, ka-ching,!!!!:what!::sad: There goes that dang cash register in my head again. Please,,,,,,,,,,make it stop!!:s12108:Or NOT! He who dies with the most toys is the winner!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!:s12205:

Hi, I am not crazy, is too!:drool: Please lead me too the tools/toys please!:35:

I saw Brian Fellhoelter pic of one of those recently and talked to him about it. I sure think I need to have one of those.

Bossdog, A gent that goes by Nathan the Machinist makes chillers and other :cool: stuff.

I had one for a KMG I had and they work great. When I had to down size back into my one car garage shop I couldn't keep three 2 x 72"s so I sold the KMG. You may want to contact Nathan directly?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1263563-Radius-platens-platen-chillers-for-KMG

Last edited:
I would sure like to know what kind of accuracy you can get with that attachment. If you get time to do some experiments with the new toy I would love to know what you find!

Back