Picking up my bandsaw today!

Tod Lowe

After getting some input from guys on here I decided to get the harbor freight bandsaw. Its really the last piece of "necessary" equipment I have needed.
I printed a 20% off coupon off the internet last night too.:D:cool:

Now.
I have read where most harbor freight tools require a little maintanance out of the box.huh1 For those with this saw did you need to tweak anything or is there anything I should be aware of?

I have heard horror stories about having to tweak stuff on them. I didnt have to do anything but get a better blade for it. Since then it has been a champion. I will be getting another blade to cut this thick 5/16" stuff though:eek: I would also look into fabbing a new work table for it. The one it comes with sucks.

Congrats on the new red devil...I love mine. Get in touch with Tracy and get a new blade and start chopping up some steel buddy2thumbs

Chris

After getting some input from guys on here I decided to get the harbor freight bandsaw. Its really the last piece of "necessary" equipment I have needed.
I printed a 20% off coupon off the internet last night too.:D:cool:

Now.
I have read where most harbor freight tools require a little maintanance out of the box.huh1 For those with this saw did you need to tweak anything or is there anything I should be aware of?

Shankmaker,

Congrats Man !

My saw was fine out of the box.

The blade will wear out quickly but you can cut some steel with it. Mine came with the blade installed and cut just fine till I cut some HR steel with it.

Order the new blade so you'll be ready though.

Table- This is a real POS ! My buddy Dave's got a 3/8" aluminum table on his and it's the cat's meow.

As a temporary improvement I have a piece of 1/4 laminated wood attatched to my table with a couple sheet metal screws (from the tube caps from Admiral)

It did stiffen up the table a bit and I cut the slot for the blade about 2 blades width wide. The table that comes with it has a gaping canyon and small cut-offs always slip down and get caught in the blades guide rollers.

Eventually I'll get a piece of steel or aluminum and make a better table but the bandaid fix is working for the time being.

LMAO about "necessary" equipment. :)

Each time you try something new there becomes a new necessary piece of equipment !

Congrats again Bro, the bandsaw is one of the biggies. A real time and belt saver !

-Josh

I had to do some tweaking. Be prepared to have another person help you put it together. I did it by myself, and it's a two headed female dog to get that heavy motor/blade unit on top of that cheap flimsy stand. Once it's there, it's not so bad :D.

I noticed on my saw that the blade was way out of square with the table. So I made a new table of 1/4" weld steel (MUCH better) and made some adjustments to the upper and lower blade guides to get the blade squared with the table.

Another thing I did was this: the door/cover to the blade is hinged and fixed with a single screw. What I did is open the door, run that screw into the frame with the door open, and then close the door over the screw. The head of the screw fits nicely into the hold in the door, and it keeps it secure. But now you don't have to run for a screw driver if you need to access the blade.

--nathan

Found my saw laying in the mud in a farmers field, ask about it and the guy gave it to me. Had to free up all moving parts including motor. The first thing I did was make a workable table for it. It's working great now for 2 years.

Shankmaker, if you're like the rest of us you'll never have enough tools, but you have a real good start. Cut some metal and pictures please. :)

Larry

Like Nathan mentioned it's best to have 2 people to put it together but do yourself a favor. Attach the top and bottom while having it laying on it's side, much easier. The table pretty much stinks, it's usable but I'm already looking to replace mine. I have a brand new blade for it but decided to use what's on there. So far it's been okay but I'm sure things will go easier with the better blade.

Also I'm not sure if they have it on sale now, if it's not you might want to wait. They usually go on sale and you can almost always find a 20% off coupon in a lot of magazines. I picked mine up brand new in that scenario for about 164 with the tax included iirc.

If you haven't picked it up yet, go to the web-site and print out the page where it is listed. Typically, the on-line price is less than the in store price. If you print out the on-line page they will honor the price in the store as well as give you the additional 20% off with the coupon.

As with everyone else, I highly encourage finding a buddy to help you out with assembly. I did it by myself and it was a "PIA". Even with a buddy, it would be advised to assemble it with it lying on its' side.

The blade that comes with the saw works, but isn't the best in the world. I did quite a bit of cutting with it with minimal problems (1/4" O-1). If you get in a pinch and need a blade and are like me and too inpatient to wait, you can pick one up at most Home Depot stores for about $15. Just understand that the Home Depot blades aren't the same quality as the ones that Boss sells.

Hey guys. Got more great news! I talked them down to 189.00 then when they got it to the counter I presented them with the 20% off coupon. I got the saw for 151.00 bucks! Being the tightwad I am I was as happy with the deal as I was getting my saw.

I strained my arm getting it out of the truck.
And I did have to have my wife help put it on the legs. Yes I lifted the motor end. :) Its Not only heavy but awkward.

thanks for the table tips. I see what you guys mean about it.
And thanks for the better blade tip. Boss dog gets about 99 percent of my business and about half my money:)

LOL...Nothing wrong with being a tightwad buddy....more money to spend at USAKnifemakers.com....lol

And at least you had some help...most of us struggled with this awkward beast all by ourselves:eek::mad: :D:bud:

Congrats man....you will like it. Hell of a deal!

Chris

Hey guys. Got more great news! I talked them down to 189.00 then when they got it to the counter I presented them with the 20% off coupon. I got the saw for 151.00 bucks! Being the tightwad I am I was as happy with the deal as I was getting my saw.

I strained my arm getting it out of the truck.
And I did have to have my wife help put it on the legs. Yes I lifted the motor end. :) Its Not only heavy but awkward.

thanks for the table tips. I see what you guys mean about it.
And thanks for the better blade tip. Boss dog gets about 99 percent of my business and about half my money:)

I just picked one up yesterday too. It is a dog to get it on that flimsy stand, definitely better to have 2 guys do it.
I need to find that 20% off coupon and go back and get that discount!

A few checks and tweaks right up front will save you grief down the road. My little HF saw has paid for itself about a zillion times over in the last 10 or so years, and just keeps chugging along.

Check the gearbox oil for chunks and sufficient level. After some break-in time with the saw, discard that stinky mystery oil and fill with 90W gear oil.

Check the pulley alignment. Rest a straightedge across the ends of the two pullies and make sure they are in line and parallel. Optional but recommended: See if you can skooch the pullies closer to the motor and saw body to reduce leverage on the bearings. I was able to get mine about 3/8" closer on my saw.

It takes some fiddling, but it's worth the tweaking to get your saw to cut straight. Plus you'll learn how all the adjustment eccentrics, etc. work and perhaps some new expletives. Adjust the blade tracking (on the wheels) first, then the blade guides.

Get a some good bi-metallic blades. The one that comes on the saw is crap. Oh well. I get 'em at Enco.

Have fun!

Dave

Back