Pin placement help

MT Knives

How do you decide where to put your pins? I was taught to eyeball pins and put them where they look right, not to measure. I have also been told to divide the handle in 1/4ths. If a handle has some belly on the bottom but not on the top that would place your pin lower in the center of the handle. Do you ever place pins out of center? The two places that seem a little off is the back pin (I would prefer to move it closer to the butt of the knife) and the center pin (seems low). I will try to post a picture but wanted to know how you determine where to place your pins.

c66980d54ba0485f3df6835f9e45d60c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to keep my pins centered in the handle, top to bottom. I sometimes check with a ruler but I don't really lay them out that way. Usually, I spot them where they look right to my eye and more often than not, they're pretty doggone close to center.

I've heard some say to always place them above the centerline, but that hasn't worked out very well for me.

As far as front and rear pin placement, I try to go the same distance from each end of the scale. And for what it's worth.....I'd move your rear pin on the knife in the pic back towards the butt end of the handle about 1/4" to 1/2" and then I'd make the front pin the same distance away from the end of the scale.

Just my method that works for me.

Thank You. That is kind of what I was thinking, moving that rear pin back and the center pin slightly up which would put it a little above center but more inline with the other two pins.

Back