Poor mans small wheel attachment.

Mark Barone

I use a 2 x 42 to make my knives and a dremel drum to finish off my tight radius. What would be the next best thing? A table for the dremel upside down. I’m ok using the dremel, but it being free it jumps around sometimes and hard to control. I have seen some other closeups on YouTube of small drum sanding type machines.

Oh that’s pretty reasonable. I might get that. I have to see if it will clip to my work bench.
I believe that Kevs suggestion gives you alot more versatility. Using the panavise , I mean. I've been using one for twenty years and just this week had to replace the base. It finally broke after who knows how many cycles of abuse.

I used to put the sanding drums in my cheapo drill press and just run the drum into the hole and lock the quill down. It worked pretty well but you can’t use a ton of pressure.

I believe that Kevs suggestion gives you alot more versatility. Using the panavise , I mean. I've been using one for twenty years and just this week had to replace the base. It finally broke after who knows how many cycles of abuse.
You are the one who introduced me to the Panavise. I use that thing constantly.

So part of my problem is I feel I need a table to rest the blade on. Do you just free hand the blade into the dremel?
Drill a .75 inch hole through your dining room table. Mount the panavise so that the rotating part of the Dremel sticks in the hole when it’s mounted in the panavise. Easy peasy. That is literally exactly what I did the day I decided that the table was so destroyed it would just be like a “knife makin’ table.

I use a Dremel in a panavise.

Drill a .75 inch hole through your dining room table. Mount the panavise so that the rotating part of the Dremel sticks in the hole when it’s mounted in the panavise. Easy peasy. That is literally exactly what I did the day I decided that the table was so destroyed it would just be like a “knife makin’ table.
Gotcha so 3/4 inch hole first into the dining room table . I’ll probably use a new bit. Then attach the panavise, then arrange for a ride to a cheap motel, then get served divorce papers from Ann-Marie. Are those the steps?

You just have to explain to her that she married a knife maker, and she’s gonna have to sacrifice. My wife had absolutely no problem after that. That gal is so happy go lucky ya know. She never, ever complains, and always tells me how awesome I am and that I’m doing such a good job picking up after myself. Not once has she ever complained about metal dust, saw dust, or a big glob of dried epoxy on my good jeans. She just loves being married to a “knife maker”. Y’all know what I mean?

You just have to explain to her that she married a knife maker, and she’s gonna have to sacrifice. My wife had absolutely no problem after that. That gal is so happy go lucky ya know. She never, ever complains, and always tells me how awesome I am and that I’m doing such a good job picking up after myself. Not once has she ever complained about metal dust, saw dust, or a big glob of dried epoxy on my good jeans. She just loves being married to a “knife maker”. Y’all know what I mean?
Gotcha...my wife just chases me around the dining room table, and I haven't even drilled any holes yet...well a few pilot holes. Good thing she's slow.

haha this could be a great thread. I actually started to believe Keven. I have mini shop in the garage, my drill press and work area in the basement. But sometimes, when my wife is not home, I use the comfy dining room as a workspace. Note to self. That little brush to spread the blue dye is not a mans best friend.

Back