power source for a carbidizer

firephil

Has anyone ever used a power source like what you'd use for anodizing TI as a power source for carbidizing? I thought I'd check before I blew mine up.

I don't know about your anodizing source but I use a battery charger from Harbor Freight.

It works great and is pretty cheap.

You just have to splice a 9v battery into the leads to prevent the safety fault from kicking in. Easy to do though.

OpXqAQ7l.jpg

OK. Dumbo alert, Dumbo alert. What is carbidizing?

It's a device designed to deposit a super thin layer of carbide on a conductive material. It usually consists of a vibrating type engraver, and piece of carbide (usually a broken carbide end mill, drill bit, or similar, and a power supply that facilitates the transfer of the carbide...... it's for very small areas such as the faces of lockbars, and/or the lock angle of blades on folders. If everything is correct and working, it will deposit a layer of carbide between .0005"-/.001".

thanks for the explanation. Guess I won't be needin one for awhile , yet. Still got lots to learn on full tang knives out of 1084.!

Has anyone ever used a power source like what you'd use for anodizing TI as a power source for carbidizing? I thought I'd check before I blew mine up.
I use the same equipment for anodizing titanium to carbidize it.
an a/c variac with a bridge rectifier. it HAS to be d/c to carbidize. and always run it across a test piece of titanium before putting it to your lock, if its turned up to high you can burn it.

Back