Press mods.

jmforge

Ed, I recall that you had a Carlisle press that you rebuilt and modified heavily. I still have his personal press and I was wondering if you came up with a different way to hold the dies?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
It's been so long since that press, I don't remember what he had for the die holders.....can you post a pic?

On the one I had, the biggest mods I made were replacing the bottom die holder with a 1/2" wall square tube that went to/was welded to the base. The die holders were 3/4" thick plate, with a "riser" that was 2" narrower, under them that allowed for using 1/4x1" angle welded to slide the dies on/off the holders. I always made sure that I left extra "slop" in the fit, because otherwise they'd get stuck when hot and I couldn't get them off until everything cooled down. I had to think hard to remember what I'd done to that press..... since getting my hands on orange crush, I've not though out anything else in a LONG time. :)

jmforge

Lol. They were just slide on holders. I thought the big orange press was just the next modification of that old one. Do you still have the big Say Mak?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
This press is totally different than the old one..... "H" frame, 10" dia. cylinder, and puts out 80 tons. :)
And yes, the Say-Mak is still here, and still doing it's job.

I went back and looked at some old pics I have..... the welded on 1/4" angle is all I ever did for the die holders on the Carlisle Press.