primal grind.

Guindesigns

Just thought about it and want to know. whats is your primary angle? I was taught 45 but was watching a video were a guy did his at 30.

Just thought about it and want to know. whats is your primary angle? I was taught 45 but was watching a video were a guy did his at 30.

Are you asking about edge bevel angles? If so, that’s typically referred to as the secondary bevel. Primary would be the angle that you grind your main flats, which is generally much steeper.

If you are indeed asking about edge bevels, most of mine end up 15 degrees per side (30 inclusive), though I might go a little thinner (20-25 inclusive) for a kitchen slicer, or a little thicker (usually no more than 40 inclusive) for something that might be taking a lot of impact.

The primary bevel is the main bevel of the blade. Think of it as the grind, like "flat grind".

I suspect you are talking about the secondary bevel or micro-edge. The Micro-edge varies depending on what the knife is intended for. Usually, it's referred to as "XX" degrees on a side or "XX" degrees inclusive. I've been a knife grinder and run my own sharpening shop for coming up on 20 years.

Generally, skinners that will never be used near bone, teeth and for opening cuts and chef knives, if they have a micro-bevel, are around 17 to 20 degrees inclusive or 8 1/2 to 10 on a side. We do hunting knives and knives meant for more general use at a little more. Everyday-use knives meant for whittling, opening boxes and cutting rope are done to about 25 degrees inclusive or 121/2 on a side. Choppers that are going to be used more like hatchets are done to about 30 degrees inclusive.

I have heard of people doing them to a blunter angle than that but I can't believe they would cut very well. I'm sure that an edge ground to 45 degrees will hold up very well but I'm not sure it would pass any kind of cut test like shaving arm hair or cutting a 1 inch limp hanging rope like the ABS teaches.

That's the view from my angel, hope this helps.

PS, while I was half way through this, I got called away for other things around here. Didn't realize AR gave you his very good answer.

I think I know what you mean. Are you asking at what angle we start to grind to a center line on a profiled blank? That first 45 degree angle is intended to help set the edge in the center of the blade and thin the edge so to speak. The angle will be changed as you grind higher up. Someone else may have a different answer but in my opinion it does not matter. If I am flat grinding I start at 10 or 12 and work until my edge is about thick as a dime then I change to move my grind line higher toward the spine till I am happy.

Back