Prob My Last Freebie

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Cpm 154 cm
7.5 oal
3.25 blade

After this one I’m gonna have to start at least price of materials and HT lol

Ps I know the hole drilling is outta control on this one lol5C35AA4B-2771-4797-8161-5FDCF9DBB5FC.jpeg

Looks good. I agree with light duty. The two holes in the think part of the hilt would limit heavy work.
I’m even thinking of a SS liner. I may even scrap this one or keep it for myself. I think someone could step on it and pop it once hardened.

There comes a time in every Knifemaker's/Bladesmith's career when you either have to start charging, or go broke. :) I always found it interesting how many "friends" I gained whenever they wanted a knife.......but when I needed some help, they were nowhere to be found! :)
You are definitely correct, Ed. I’m still at the point though where I don’t put makers marks on anything. I still feel that they are not ready... in fact I know they’re not. I think I may be able to actually out grind my grinder lol. Once this issue is resolved I may possibly feel that the angles and edges are somewhat close to professional. As of now, however, I have to be realistic and admit that they are not. So I just kinda sorta feel uncomfortable about charging. It’s/I’m weird I guess. Lol

A giveaway can fall into different catogories and I know I stilll give the odd one away for differing reasons. I think friends that are given a knife are those who have been friends for some time and the knife is possibly reciprical for some of the back and forth between friends. Sometimes giving one away has other implications and one that is going out this week is going to the editor of a hunting magazine for a field test and magazine report so I see it as advertising and put it into my books as such.
Earlier on I woud give those away that I might have made up to test a style or design and want to get some feedback of it in use.

Na I'm with you Kev! I'm my own worst critic too! I need to improve my process to make knives faster without sacrificing quality!

After reflecting on my previous post, I remember what a great knife maker once told me. “Being a great knife maker imeans that you great at covering your mistakes.” - Ed Caffrey

So... for those who believe in doing it right. If this don’t work ... well I can’t say i didn’t try.E445EA7F-C42E-48DB-BDC0-8D6120F44ED5.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't see those holes as problematic...I'd skin anything I could with that...you'd have to use it as a pry bar before you could tweak that handle (provided it is heat treated also)

The holes aren't making that knife weak. It's not a climbing peg on a telephone pole- it's a knife. Knives cut things. How many steak knives or fillet knives have you ever snapped, especially snapped in the handle somewhere?

Look, I'm all for sturdy construction. But a knife slices things. A chopper chops things. A knife meant for both does neither very well. Therefore, make slicers that slice. Anyone who breaks a slicer is doing something really, really stupid.

Kevin...put your mark on your knives...some day they will be collectable for all the Zito fans...no one will care about the quality...only the history. And some new maker may look at an early knife of yours and go, "Wow...his first knife isn't any better than mine....!" and gain some encouragement. Your stuff is worthy of your name...and trust me...you put your name on it and it is a whip to spur you on to higher and higher quality...(it is for me)...Lol!

You can't really charge for something you're not willing to put your mark on can you?

Always put your name on a knife. You put a lot of time and energy it to them be proud of your work. John's statement is spot on for the holes. I swiss cheese mine all the time for weight reduction.

Attachments

• 20180312_183710.jpg
    20180312_183710.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
yes, but the knife is probably .100 at the thickest. Plus don’t yall think that the holes are in bad spots? Y’all know way more than I so these are real questions. I really don’t know how strong steel is to begin with I guess is what I’m really trying to say.

None of those holes are at a "hinge point" where if you were really prying hard they would affect the stiffness of the handle. They're fine. deep breath...and ...get that handle on...LOL!!

yes, but the knife is probably .100 at the thickest. Plus don’t yall think that the holes are in bad spots? Y’all know way more than I so these are real questions. I really don’t know how strong steel is to begin with I guess is what I’m really trying to say.

Exactly. It's .100 at the thickest. Any reasonable person who picks it up will realize it is not meant for splitting firewood. It is, however, in that sweet spot where it will cut like a laser. Knives are tools, and purpose-built tools are where performance is found.

As soon as you put scales on that thing it will stiffen up considerably. Have you ever used steel studs in construction? When you pick one up you think "This must be a joke. I could bend this in half with my hands." Then you screw them into place and put drywall on them and the wall is now amazingly strong.

I'm not saying you should think of scales as being structural. But they will stiffen that knife more than you expect. Again- it's a slicer. Make choppers that chop and slicers that slice. If the knife cuts as it should there will never be a reason to force it.

Back