Profiling scales on full tang stonewashed blades

A

Allen Rumme

I’ve been experimenting with stonewashed finishes on skeleton blades and I really like the look. I’d like to use the finish on full tang blades, but it is unclear how one goes about profiling scales that are attached with epoxy without obliterating the stonewashed finish on the exposed part of the tang. The method that I presently use with other finishes is to glue on slightly over-sized scales with plenty of extra epoxy to ensure a good bond, then grind away the excess epoxy and scale material, and then hand sanding and/or buffing things to bring the tang finish back to the same place as the rest of the blade. Unfortunately, that methodology won’t preserve the stonewashed finish on the exposed part of the tang.

I know that some of you here employ stonewashed finishes on full tang blades. Any thoughts on how one might approach preserving the stonewashed finish would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Allen

Could you use stand-off and screws to temporality hold the scales in place while you fit and finish them to the blade. Then take them off and stone wash the blade, After that, glue on the scales. You would have to be on the spot making sure get all the excess glue is removed.

On knives with G10 scales epoxied on, I just blast and tumble scales and all after I get the handle shaped. It does a pretty good job of knocking any sharp corners of the scales too. I wouldn't think stabilized wood or other synthetic materials would be hurt by some time in the tumbler.

MO

Allen,

On stonewashed stainless blades, I use a 240 grit belt and a 2" wheel to bring the access handle material flush with the tang. Although this removes the stonewash the 240 grit belt leaves enough of a matt finish to match.

BC

On knives with G10 scales epoxied on, I just blast and tumble scales and all after I get the handle shaped. It does a pretty good job of knocking any sharp corners of the scales too. I wouldn't think stabilized wood or other synthetic materials would be hurt by some time in the tumbler.

MO

I always wondered how that would work out... 2thumbs

Thanks for the information guys! I have several things to try now. Just leaving the sanded finish is the easiest, but chucking the entire completed knife back in the tumbler for a bit is certainly something to try. I think getting the scales to be as close as possible to their finished size, before doing any finishing on the blade and gluing them on, provides less chance of over doing it when sanding the excess. Just screwing the scales on, as MO does, is something I've wanted to perfect, so now may be the time to work on that too.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Allen

Back