purchasing new grinder questions

69*camaro

I am looking for some advice. I am close to being ready to upgrade from my Coote grinder. Looking at the KMG and Polar Bear Forge GIB. I am really wanting a smooth running machine with no vibration. Any thoughts about the difference with the drive systems? What about how handy is the rest being on the seperate bar on the Polar Bear vs the KMG? My Coote is a 3 speed setup with the motor on hinges. I have not felt it necessary for VFD. However, I would really like some input on VFD as I do not want to have to go back and redo this grinder later.

Thanks in advance!

Camaro, I bought a GIB first and still ended up with a KMG. Unless you're great with your hands and have machining experience, your grinder will suffer greatly. After it was all said and done, even scavenging pieces, I ended paying more than I would have through a KMG.

I suggest that you buy their basic model without the VFD or Motor and source those separately. I have a source for each that will save you about 250.00 overall.

i bought a Wilmont Lil' Buddy, very good bang for the buck. I bought the basic unit without motor. it is a two bar machine, upper for the belt, lower whatever you want. the slot takes 1 1/2" square tube. it has a small footprint and is very smooth running. It came as a kit, all i had to do was tighten nuts and bolts. there is a wilmont forum on KD, that has more info.

I've got the KMG with 3 speed setup and it's nice, but there were some odd things with it that would make me suggest other grinders. I've been very impressed with the Wilmont grinders from what I have seen. A few members on here have done some really nice builds with the GIB too. Touch to day.. There all good grinders.

The VFD isn't necessary, but after having one on my disk grinder, I can see why it would be nice to have.

I have used several different big name grinders at different ABS classes and by far have found the Wilmont full size unit with VFD to be the best long term value for the money. I plan on getting a package c unit early summer. Maybe at Blade with God's Grace.

Back