Quench fluid

remist17

I was told by a old blacksmith that you can use transmission fluid to quench carbon steel. I was not sure since I never read that on this forum. Can anyone tell me if transmission fluid is ok for 1084 steel quench?

I understand the quench oil is the best, but right now sticking with the cheaper stuff like canola oil or if transmission fluid is ok.

Thanks

I have not HT a blade my self I send them out but from my understanding doing a lot of reading Canola oil is a better option for 1084 but like I said no hands on experience and I believe it needs to be warmed to 130 degrees or so to.

I use ATF with O1 and it works fine for me. I tried to find Parks, but no one within 200 miles of me sells it. I didn't want to wait or pay the outrageous shipping, so I tried the ATF and have stuck with it. I don't have a hardness tester yet, but my knives seem plenty hard. But, as I've been saying, I'm still new to this, so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure the pros will inform us.

Heck, even water will make 1084 (and other steels) hard, but there's a LOTS more involved in quenching steel for a blade than just making it hard. Read Kevin's sticky on quenching here: http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?28197-Hardening-II-Quenching

He does get a bit "in depth" sometimes, but LOTS of good info there. From other places I've read, it does seem like Canola Oil is perhaps about 2nd best quench for simple allow steels like 1084...... At least ahead of ATF and other motor oils.

Ken H>

damp of all that oils are strongly carcinogenic.I use since 20 years vegetable oil, cheapest stuff out there!There is no practical difference between chemical and vegetable oils.Special hardening oils may have more viscosity, should cooling them down much faster but in fact there is no practical difference between the blades quenched in different oils, same HRC, same performance, so....just more expensive and carcinogenic.

I use used ATF and have for a long time,I also use canola.ATF heated to 140 deg.Don't breath the nasty fumes and as always have a lid and extinguisher handy.

I have used veggie oil from my fryer in an old ammo can. Heat Treating smells like french fries...I'm considering the name - Tasty Blades... But seriously - I've used motor oil, veggie, and wheni was lucky enough to sit in on some elses shop, ATF... I don' delve too deep into that stuff. Veggie oil works great for almost every steel (except O-1, I think that steel is a booger to heat treat in the backyard ... but that's just me), and its on the cheap!

Back