Quench Tank

ddavelarsen

Some of you may have seen this already but thought I'd share it here in case it gets anyone else going down the road of better HT control. It's a brief show of how I built my quench tank. It has a thermostatically controlled heating element and a small circulating pump. I've used it now for about six months and it's doing well so far.

There's a lot in the pictures that I didn't describe, so please feel free to ask any questions. I'm not much of a writer. Or photographer. :)

One change to my HT process. I use O1 for pretty much everything. Using the Houghton Quench G rather than vegetable oil, I found I needed to reduce the oil temp to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. That worked to get full hardness, which I wasn't getting at 140.

Quench Tank Build

Thanks for the kind words guys. Stabber, Coop's picture of Danny's axe is the most published photo of anything I've made, and Coop has gone out of his way over the years to promote it. It was even included in the recent book 500 Knives. :) I often say this, and makers probably get tired of me saying it :D, but professional photography is always worth every penny.

Back