Quenching Question

wmhammond

Hey Guys. I use as a container a horozontal (lays down on a takle) aluminum bread bakery pan that is about 16" long and about 5" square. It holds about 1 gallon of Parks 50 and I dont change it much I just keep it full. Is this sufficient or am I kidding myself My blades do skate a file.

Answers to this question will vary. Are you edge quenching? My main concern with a small tank like that would be overheating the oil if you HT more than one knife in a row. I have not used parks though. This topic came up a while back and based off of info shared in that thread I changed to a metal 5 gallon bucket for my tank. I used to use a large ammo can but I do HT up to five knives in a row so was worried about getting inconsistent results so I changed.

I agree with Chris and will add two other points- 1 gallon containers don't offer much room for agitation, and I'd expect a much shorter quenchant life.

I bought this and use it for a horizontal quench tank. Holds about 3 1/2 gallons of Parks 50. I would be concerned using less than that.

It's a brand new 40mm ammo can for about $35. Thought it was a good deal at the time. Allows me to seal it up between uses.

Back