Question about Corby Fasteners

Bonenugget

Hello Everyone,

I am just starting to get interested in knife making. After watching several YouTube videos and looking at different articles and forums I decided to start with buying a premade knife blade. My main hobby is woodworking so I figured a good place to start would just be on the knife scales. I purchased a full tang bowie blade with both a pre-attached bolster and pommel. So basically I am not really making a knife as much as attaching a handle. I figured this might be a good place to start before jumping in with both feet.

My plan is to attach the scales using Corby fasteners. The knife blade comes with 3 pre-drilled 3/16" holes for the handle. So I wrote to one of the knife making suppliers and asked which Corby fasteners I should use. The specs on several of the websites seem confusing to me so I wasn't sure which exact fastener to order. The supplier wrote back and told me the model number of one of their fasteners and said... "The diameter of the shaft is slightly smaller than 3/16, but the epoxy should hold". Is that ok? Or should the fastener fit exactly? Knowing little to nothing yet about knife making I want to make sure I am not making any mistakes.

Also, any feedback, tips... on the use of Corby fasteners would be greatly appreciated. I was originally go to just use pins but I like the idea of the mechanical hold these fasteners provide.

Thanks for you help,

Brian

I think it's normal for the inner diameter to have just a tad of clearance. I love Corbys but you need to drill holes in scales very accurately and do a dry fit before epoxy. Also, 5 min epoxy and 3 Corbys is not fun, you have to nail it first try with no mistakes. Stressful! Try getting some slower setting epoxy too.

Brian,

First Welcome to the Pound! Now, I line up the first scale drill my smaller hole. The do the same for my other side. Check to make sure it all lines up. Next I use my step bit to drill the inset hole. I measure twice, drill once. I use a set collar one my press to keep me from drill to far. Using GFlex epoxy I glue it together and put in my corbys starting with the center one. I let it set for about 10 minutes then wipe off the excess epoxy with a rag, q tips, and denatured alcohol. Let dry for 24 hours. Finish handle and enjoy!

Thanks George and Anthony, I ordered the Corbys today. I appreciate your tips on handle installation too. I also went to West Marine and picked up some GFlex epoxy. I will probably measure and dryfit several times since this is my first attempt. I have also seen the handles done a couple of different ways. I have seen people outline the tang on the scales and cut close to the finish shape leaving only a bit to sand. I have also seen folks leave the scales rectangular with lots of overhang and just sand and file away. Any preference for either of those options?

Thanks,

Brian

Back