Question about working mammoth ivory

Roy Miller

In the last month I have been able to get my hands on several pieces of mammoth ivory and although I achieved this feat without selling my first born I am still nervous about working with it. The maker I got it from said he allows his to absorb mineral oil over night before finishing it. I think this helps keep it from braking. I am wondering if that will adversely affect the epoxy. Does anyone have any advise?:bud:

Ive heard that too. As long as you waited till the epoxy was dry, you can oil it as much as you like. It would only absorb so much.
Cheers Bruce

I have worked with mammoth quite a bit. The main thing to remember is DON'T get it hot or it will crack, maybe not right away but sooner or later it will crack. So just go slow and easy when cutting, drilling and especially grinding. Keep it cool but do not dunk it in water.

I sand it down to 1000 or 1200 grit and then give it a quick pass on the buffer on a soft loose cotton wheel with pink no-scatch compund. And I mean a quick pass, the buffer will get it too hot if you stay on it too long.

I treat it with mineral oil after it is finished. I'll just just dunk the whole handle in a jar of it and let it sit overnight.

It works easily but will stink the place up when you are grinding it. When drilling holes drill a smaller pilot hole first and then put tape on the backside and drill your final hole.

Thanks Mike: I thought he was using the oil before gluing the scales on. What you said sounds good. I probably misunderstood him. Roy

It may work to treat with mineral oil first but I would be concerned about the epoxy adhesion unless the ivory has sat for quite a while after soaking in the oil.

It the ivory appears to have some mineral oil on the surface, wipe it down, let it sit. and wipe it down several times with acetone. It won't hurt the ivory but will remove the mineral oil on the surface. Frank

When I turn on the lathe I have been told that antler bone and rock you should always use lung protection from the dust its toxic. good luck H

Back