Re-Building my 25# Little Giant

Don McNeil

Title says it all...I bought this thing about three months ago and barely used it. I noticed that the rear main bearing had a crack started at the back end so I took off both main bearing caps and both main bearings were cracked. I think whoever re-built it previously may have used babbitt with too high of a tin content which is more fragile. I sent the clutch pulley to LG to have that bearing re poured and I re-poured the main bearings myself. The photos are before and during. I will update it with the after photos as soon as I have it done.

And here is my view from the shop.

. I sent the clutch pulley to LG to have that bearing re poured and I re-poured the main bearings myself.

So I got to admit I don't know a lot about these power hammers but I was under the impression the company was out of business. Here you say you sent the clutch pulley to LG to have that bearing re-poured. So I assume they still are in business and/or at least carry parts/do work on their old machines??? Any info on the company? I see one of these hammer come up for sale, once in a great while but the prices seem high to me. What is a good price for one of these machines?

The original company had not produced anything new for years when they were contacted by a man named Sid Suedmeier regarding parts for one of his hammers. The company still had parts but had no employees that knew anything about that part of their business and had been contemplating selling it all off as scrap (I Believe). Sid met with the president of the company and made a deal to buy the parts and the rights to the name and the "Little Giant Hammer Company"was born. Sid just recently transferred ownership of the company to his long time machinist to insure the companies longevity. He is in his 70's and didn't want the company to be lost if anything happened to him. Here is a link to their website. http://www.littlegianthammer.com/

As far as pricing goes I have heard of prices all over the place. Once my restoration is complete I would value it between $3000 and $3500 based on what I have seen them going for. Condition here is the key just like with anything else. Mine had some problems that were not readily visible without taking the bearing caps off. I got a good deal on it so I am not complaining and re-building it is giving lots of insight into how all moving parts relate to each other so it has been a good project. And at the end of it I end up with a hammer that will work as good today as did 66 years ago when it rolled off the factory floor.

Hot dang that is right up there where I was born at and lived my first 17 years. Not Nebraska City but not far from there! I still got family in the area. I may now have to check into one of these since I know parts are available!

Two thumbs up for the info!

Back