Re-Introduction

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
For those of you who do not know me, my name is David Murphy or "Murph" as most refer to me as. I've been a member here on KD since I believe the second or third week after Boss opened the forum.

I'm an avid knife enthusiast, collector (when I can afford it), hobbyist maker, and designer. I would say that my greatest strengths lie in design rather than making, but it doesn't prevent me from ruining a perfectly good bar of steel from time to time. I've had the privilege of befriending some truly great knife makers and blade smiths over the course of the past several years and greatly appreciate everything they have taught me. My greatest influence has been Jim Crowell, MS who taught me the ergonomics and "flow" of design after I commissioned him to make a combat knife for me in 2003 prior to my first deployment to Iraq. Over the years since returning from my second trip to Iraq ('08), I've spent many days as his shadow in his shop and even had the opportunity to do a collaboration build of approximately 20 "practical utility" knives which I designed for a later cancelled deployment to Afghanistan I was scheduled for.

I know I haven't been around much for the past year or so and I apologize. We'll just say that I've had a few curve balls thrown my way and had a major case of head in rear syndrome along with a major life changing event (the birth of my daughter). In February of last year I lost my job and have been avidly searching since. As a National Guard soldier, many civilian employers seem to be a little gun shy of hiring me due to the number of deployments and mobilizations I've been picked up for (approximately 9 of the past 12 years).

Last Summer I took on the task of a military build that failed miserably. I was really excited about the build and then lost a close friend and former leader to suicide. For some reason I just couldn't shake the cobwebs out of my head and focus on the project and then a couple of months later my "ill' angel" was born. Being unemployed has allowed me to spend A LOT of time at home with her which has truly been a blessing, but has left little time for anything else including playing on-line.

The great news is that in June I received a promotion and last Monday I officially requested an administrative reduction. I know that sounds crazy, but the administrative reduction allowed me to accept a full-time position and returns me to active duty. I've forfeited my part-time position as an Infantry Platoon Sergeant in order to accept a position as a full-time Supply Sergeant. It's going to be a huge transition from leading/training soldiers to supporting them, but it's a great opportunity for my family and I. I'll have a lot of absences over the next few months as I travel for schools in order to learn my new job, but I look forward to the challenges.

I'll continue to pop my head in here as often as possible and please know I'm not ignoring you guys. I'm still here in spirit. If any of you guys ever need anything, just shoot me an e-mail or drop me a PM (I'll get the e-mail notification). I try to check my e-mail at least once a day as well as my Facebook account.

In the coming months the family and I will be making a short move where I hope to finally have a shop at my house as opposed to a 30 minute drive away. Hopefully then I'll be more motivated and start knocking out more projects.

Good to see you back Murph. Sounds like things are starting to go a little better for you now. I want to thank you for your service to the country and congrats on the new addition to your family.

Jim

Sounds like things are going well, which is good to hear. It couldn't happen to nicer people.
T

Thanks for the update Murph. I'm happy to hear you have made it through the rough times,God bless you my friend.

Good luck Murph,
Just stay focused and everything will work out . Be happy that your new daughter is heathy( congratulations) . Take care my friend .
Bubba-san

Last edited:
Murph,

Life is a tough thing to wake up to each day. All we can do is take it one day at a time. Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a future adventure....... we just need to take "TODAY" and make the best of it we can.

Glad to see you around again. Make the best of each "TODAY" that you can because "TOMORROW" is not guaranteed to even be there.

Robert

Back