Recommended grinder for folders?

JC in SC

I recently sold off some of my collection to add to the shop tool fund. I have access to a mill, lathes, a drill press, surface grinder and electric furnaces at work. As such, the biggest deficiency in my knifemaking arsenal, other than skill and experience, is access to a quality grinder. Right now I'm leaning towards a KMG with the 3 step pulley set up. Obviously, I'd love variable speed, but it isn't in the budget right now. I'm considering one of the packages that includes either an 8" or 10" contact wheel as well as the platen attachment. What size wheels are you guys using for hollow grinds on your folders? The cost difference between the two is only $50, so I'm leaning towards the 10".

Beaumont also has a really sweet, 1HP, VS Horizontal grinder, but I think the vertical unit will be much more versatile. Besides, I might be able to rig up a tilt table in order to use it as a horizontal. I plan to work primarily on slip joints and maybe even some lockbacks in the immediate future, but eventually plan to venture into forging, damascus, etc.

I know there are a lot of grinders out there. I have only heard good things about the KMG and it looks like a tank, so this seems like a good choice. These days, time is my scarcest resource, so I'm not really interested in the whole DIY thing. I'd rather spend my free time making knives! Eventually, I'll want a small wheel attachment, but I think this will be a pretty good little starter set.

So is there anything I'm overlooking? As always, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I bought my KMG for the exact reason you are thinking about it. My time was limited so I bought instead of building. That said I bought the platen attatchment at first, then an 8" wheel, and then eventually a 14" wheel. I love grinding my slip joint blades on my 14" wheel. If you upgrade I'd go with a 14". If you are for sure getting an 8" or a 10" I think I might be inclined to go with the 8". You can still grind hollows, but it will be usefull for other things.

I only make liner lock folders. I have a 10" wheel and a 7 1/2" I use the 10" almosy 100% of the time and don't expect to change since I'm so comfortable with that, but, I think Ryan's suggestion of a 14" could be a good one although a 12" might work well too.

I reckon having a horizontal grinder is pretty useful for making folders as well. I have a Radius Master which can flip on it's side. Every grinder has its issues of course and there is a lack of clearance for the left hand with my grinder. If you can get around that it is an excellent grinder.

Alistair

I only make BEAUTIFUL,INCREDIBLE,liner lock folders. I have a 10" wheel and a 7 1/2" I use the 10" almosy 100% of the time and don't expect to change since I'm so comfortable with that, but, I think Ryan's suggestion of a 14" could be a good one although a 12" might work well too.

I'm sorry Frank,but there was a typo in your reply there...I took the liberty of fixing it for you :)

I was all set to pull the trigger on a KMG, but I've decided not to rush into making a decision of this magnitude. Also, the budget for the grinder was a bit tight already and the more I researched, the more I wanted to upgrade. Needless to say, the budget, as it currently stands, would have been blown, so I've decided to hold off for a little longer. Thanks for all the input.

You may want to check out Wayne Coe's thread as well. He can save you a few bucks on your motor and/or a variable speed controller ($255 plus whatever shipping would be, Wayne's price includes shipping). He also has pre-built versions of Tracy's welded "NoWeld Grinder" for a fraction of the price of an equally equiped KMG.

I think you'll be 100% satisfied with the KMG. I LOVE mine!!! Just trying to give you options.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php...t-for-Motors-VFDs-Grinders-Forge-Supplies-etc.

Grizzly with a 10" wheel. I do everything from folders to 14'' Bowies. I modified the tool rest to to be two inches wide and to be centered on wheel. I don't do Flat grind or Convex, I hollow ground all of my blades. So the grizzly is perfect grinder for me and for less than 500.00. I love mine.

You may want to check out Wayne Coe's thread as well. He can save you a few bucks on your motor and/or a variable speed controller ($255 plus whatever shipping would be, Wayne's price includes shipping). He also has pre-built versions of Tracy's welded "NoWeld Grinder" for a fraction of the price of an equally equiped KMG.

I think you'll be 100% satisfied with the KMG. I LOVE mine!!! Just trying to give you options.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php...t-for-Motors-VFDs-Grinders-Forge-Supplies-etc.

I should have mentioned that I am going to go through Wayne for the motor, and most likely VFD set-up, when I do finally pull the trigger. His price is something like $575 shipped for a 1.5HP VFD set-up versus $814 plus shipping through Beaumont. I just need to get a few other things in order first. It isn't probably even accurate to refer to myself as a hobby knifemaker since I haven't even completed my first slip joint yet. As such, I'm holding off on dropping ~$1500 on a professional grade tool since I'm no where near a professional grade maker.

JC one thing I learned is spend as much as you can afford on tools. Remember if you by a good grinder it is going to out last, so spend wisely.

I second what Pieter said. When asked, most of the "Pros" will tell you to buy the very best you can afford and avoid the mistakes they made "growing up". I'm not saying that KMG is the only option out there, there are numerous other models which I have been told are excellent grinders. For me, the answer was to buy a grinder that experts were telling me would last me a lifetime. I know my motor will have to be replaced someday as will my VFD, but the chasis of a KMG is bullet proof.

Continue doing your research and when you do pull the trigger get a grinder that you feel you will be happy with for decades to come. Don't make the mistake of buying one with the intention of upgrading someday (this was the advice given to me).

Back