Red hot mokume

CTaylorJr

Red hot mokume flying off of the anvil and into the recycle bin full of paper can come close to ruining your evening! :what!:

I pulled on the hammer a bit and the small billet flew from the anvil STRAIGHT INTO THE RECYCLE BIN!

Luckily the bucket full of cooling water was close by and I extinguished the smoldering mess. :biggrin:

Oh, did I fail the mention that the wife walked into the garage about the time this happened? Um, she's not as happy about the fast response as I am...

The billet looks cool though! :3:

Charlie

nice save...I had a hot spark hit the propane tank hose one time. I didn't think I could move that fast...

Hey there Anthony,

I'll get some pics of the mokume tomorrow. I cheated and used quarters for it and this time it came out fair... I have decided that the MAPP gas is NOT going to work for me, so I plan to make a propane setup tomorrow. Once I get that done and get to where I THINK I Know what I'm doing we can get together. The MAPP works ok for most stuff I do, but the propane will be better in the long run in terms of heat and $$$.

I'll get pics of it as well once complete.

Boss, it's funny just how fast the worn bones and joints can move when we realize we've made an oops!

Charlie

Glad it wasn't a catastrophe Charlie!! Did the mokum billet turn out good?

Nice way to impress to the wife that knifemaking is safe. :) Isn't that the way it always happens. I'm glad you didn't barbeque your shop.

Larry

After grinding and pounding on it a bit more last night I saw that there are a couple of cold joint spots in it, but it shined up really nice on top. I'm convinced that the MAPP just isn't right for this application and I am now hooked on this mokume!

The wife and I have been doing the normal Sunday routine, but I plan to get into the shop after we go eat some lunch and get back to work on it. Not really sure I can call this a billet, looks more like a lump, but I'm going to shape it a bit more and make something out of it since the wife has said she wants it because it's my first piece.

Larry, my wife figured out YEARS ago that most anything I do is going to have some danger to it. Heck, I can go fishing and do something stupid! :what!:

Pics after I eat... Someone mentioned Mexican food! :biggrin:

Oh yeah, gonna pic up some brass while I'm out and try a brass and copper mix this evening!

Charlie

While the wife is getting ready to go (for the 2nd time today) I took a quick picture on the work bench... I'll take a better one later outside.

DSC_0293.jpg

Better picture

DSC_0294.jpg

Charlie

Last edited:
If you are going to do a propane torch set up be sure and get the hose for propane. If you use the hose for acetylene the propane will, over time, turn it into goop. Then you may really see what a fire is.

lol,when the wife walks in on you in mid-oops,it's never an "oops",it's a "carefully planned Emergency Response Plan" in action!...
(let me know if it ever works for you:nothing: )

That's a pretty nice "lump" you came up with!
You're lucky she didn't throw it at you and give you a matching 'lump' on the head ;)

Last edited:
The hose is 100% propane rated and the recycle bin is now at the OTHER side of the garage when I am working! Learned my lesson, for now at least!

Charlie

Back