Repurposing "scrap" materials

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
So, I have this tendency to save all the off cuts and leftover pieces of material in the knife making process: pieces of handle material, pieces of steel, bits of leather. I'm always thinking "hey, I can find something to do with this", but really I'm just tracking to become a hoarder. Recently, however, I did figure out something to do with bits of handle material. I started making beads for use with lanyards. They're easy and look good, especially when they match the knife handle.

So what have others found to do with some of these materials? Looking for ideas before I start cleaning house.

IMG_0967.jpgIMG_0968.jpg

Those look great! I save all of my "scrap" too and I've made a few beads. I really don't know what else to do with it.

I have made wooden pins and parts for a Saya from leftover handle material. I also have a container of HC steel angle cuts and stuff I intend to make canister damascus from some day soon. All of the different steels and shapes should give a decent pattern.

Making kiridashi also comes to mind. That could use some of the steel and potentially some of the handle material, depending on design.

I do the same...I copied Dennis Morland's and your's are very similar (beautiful) to his.

Hey those scraps do not take up too much room...unlike the old vehicles in my back yard...lol!

Back