Respirator catches water

Alden Cole

Hey all, when I am grinding (which is when I wear my half mask respirator), I am in an unheated barn. Yes, it gets cold sometimes. Everytime I am done with a grinding session, my respirator has drops of water in it, probably because I am exhaling hot air. Number one, does this happen to anyone else and two, what do you do about it. I'm concerned that if I don't keep it dry that it will start to mildew. I can dry it off with a clean rag, but I was wondering if someone else has any ideas. Thanks!

Even in my temp controlled shops, a respirator condensates, and in the past has gotten so full of moisture, that it drips out with each inhale. You are correct.... if you don't keep it dry, it will mildew, mold, and who knows what other critters will take root. I agree with Bruce.....dry it off with a clean rag, and clean with alcohol or alcohol wipes as needed.

Just slosh a couple shots of cheap vodka (ethyl alcohol) in the face mask, that'll kill whatever bugs are growing in there. I have a bottle sitting on my bench just for that purpose. Blow some air through the face mask and valves to evaporate any liquid & get rid of fumes.

Just slosh a couple shots of cheap vodka (ethyl alcohol) in the face mask, that'll kill whatever bugs are growing in there. I have a bottle sitting on my bench just for that purpose. Blow some air through the face mask and valves to evaporate any liquid & get rid of fumes.
Hmmm, I wonder if it would work by applying pre-emptively. :rolleyes:
Perhaps taking a shot or two before putting on the mask??? :eek:
(J/K. Friends don't let friend grind drunk...);)

Actually, I've put my respirator back on before the alcohol evaporates and took a deep breath... that was "interesting"!:mad:

If you use Lysol or windex to clean it and then put it right back on you’ll get a pounding headache and won’t able to smell anything for a while.

follow me to hear other tales of stupidity that I have pulled.

And, don't wash the mask with dish water detergent, the soap smell hangs around too long.

Yup, wipe and sanitize regularly. I think I recall a training for respirator use suggesting daily alcohol wipes.

Back