Resurrecting Country Cousin

Absinthe

I picked up a project knife of a Queen Country Cousin. It appears that the blade was snapped of otherwise removed. A new blade was provided, as well as a brass rivet, which for what it is worth, I have tossed. I was able to clean up the yellow delrin somewhat, at least it doesn't look like a dog toy any more, and I removed the washer that was embedded in one side of the pivot hole. I spun down a pair of #4 brass nuts to round, and used a brass machine screw between them like a loveless fastener.

Using my "precision beer can" shims I was not able to get it to center the blade. I am able to get the blade to snap when opening, but it is still slow to close completely. I am sourcing some better shim stock presently, and will try to re-tighten my makeshift "loveless" fasteners.

Hopefully it won't look too much like a Frankenstein once I get done and grind down the brass.
cc.jpg

Seemed that no matter what I was doing I was not able to get the blade to center and operate smoothly. Someone has sent me some high quality hardeend shims and suggested that they would help. I haven't had the chance to try them yet. But I am also concerned that there may be some hole slop relative to the piece I was using as a pivot. So I really need to take a step back and reexamine the details of this particular knife. It is also possible that the tang corner might need some adjustment as the closing seems always slow. So it is on the back burner for the time being.

Back