Rookies Adventure in AEB-L Kitchen Knives

wall e

So as all young aspiring knifemakers I decided it was time to push my comfort zone and, decided to make some kitchen knives.
I traded another maker some of the D2 planer blades for some known steel remnants, amongst them was a piece of AEB-L.
The paring knife I made for the misses was 1084 and she loved the shape and feel of it but it started to patina and rust the first use on cutting spuds.
So after seeing the cheapie knives were stainless and the artistic makers on here making some kitchen knives, I decided to push the comfort zone and go for some kitchen knives.
So here is another rookies adventure in a new branch of the knife making world.

Here is the 3 intended blades laid out on the piece of stock.

3c6a779a2bb4ffbd043cc5d31e6e76eb.jpg

After cutting them out there was a piece of drop that resembles a kiridishi so I added it in to make a quadruple set of kitchen cutters

8873cfa4a2655f82108a5b38f905ae6c.jpg

Drilled the pin holes and cleaned up my edges and sent them off with a little help from my daughter to HHH custom knives for ht and cryo.
Got them back yesterday from him and the 3 smaller blades are a 60 rc and the mini chef is 61 rc.

b7f89a2ecfda93de711fa8e3e44355d9.jpg

So on the agenda for this weekend is to grind out the quartet and start choosing handles.
The wife already has laid claim to the culibah(sp) piece from Mr Doyle, the kiri is getting a chunk of teak I acquired from an old pallet from work. So the remaining two are where I am at a pondering. I think the Missouri oak I got from Smithy will go on one of them and the fourth is a mystery.
Will post more pics when I get more done.

Decided to use a piece of live oak for the mini chef handle. Will post pics this afternoon.

In the pics the curved dark lines are saw marks from when the board was rough sawn in 1967 and never planed smooth. It was used as rub rail for a boat trailer until it rubbed a hole in another boat. Lol so for the last 40 plus years it has sat in a wood shed just waiting a new life.

Side A of the block
2b206e2d22f8813beb78a54636c6c309.jpg

Side B
1d9660c439858c2c8e4ed3fac2610e56.jpg

c3126ccc672b5e2d0ee0d5b37c8bed13.jpg

Bottom
0c6490572827804d60cd3ce3a1874383.jpg

My Kiri concept in teak with copper pins
ccd6d1d5b11da33e801c3bdd85faa591.jpg

Last edited:
As we all know life gets in the way of knifemaking for the hobbyist maker, monday I went and got a shot that is supposed to help my ankle and, it now has put me on the couch with my foot up and off work for 4 more days. So no progress to report on any knives.

Focus on the good in your life instead of the bad. If you must sit, looking at the good makes it much more enjoyable. Prayers sent. Ed

So the steroid shot caused a flare up combined with my stubborn self not wanting to be down. Got fitted with a walking boot this last week and am back to mobile again. Here is the little bot of progress I have made, I cut out one set of scales from the block of coolibah I got from Mr Doyle

4bf585afb54144e8cc4862cf3f883d5b.jpg

089306a064b9d69b470929ff5172e1ab.jpg

And split the block of live oak for the mini chef and sanded slab/scales flat and set the liner in as well.

97e3e4e852bcac20e7bd4bfb39bf7422.jpg

So for some reason life and work as always seem to get in the way of hobbies. Lol am slowly progressing here with these. Just at the moment life and family are ahesd of these. Lol more updated pics tomorrow.

True words Ed, I have a small assistant who gets mad at me when she has to stay in the house because its too cold outside.

So here is the sacrificial test blade made from a piece of drop and a chunk of teak from a screwed up scale
uploadfromtaptalk1452604311565.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1452603976466.jpg

So here is the practice/test/potential sacrificial knife to get the feel of how this steel grinds and sands. Is harder than 1080 1084 but no where as hard as the D2 planer blades were. Lol
Trying to grind this one has been an education since it was a different shape and steel.

So upon further pondering I possibly would have been better off to grind the three blades at one time on each grut of belt. Well either way here is one blade ground to 320 since I havent ordered new 400+ belts.

bf9a6a32aa442c28a45bb5a887042111.jpg

2dbff293f0d57928aae7a820dd657d20.jpg

Hand sanded to 320. I am at an empass as to where to go past 400 for it to easily release food.
Well guess is time for more reading on here.

Hello Walt, Just wanted to comment in brief on food release. Actually in my experience. It has very little to do with the grit you finish the blade to. Although there is more stickion on a mirrored finish blade then a 400 grit finished blade. That said. Its not something that is a issue on a shorter blade this these. The biggest thing that will aid in food release is the grind itself. Pair that with the height of the blade.

(Shorter blade. Food reaches the spine or past and falls away. taller blade. well. Often opposite effect.)

The grind itself will define food release more then the finish. a convex grind done well is one of the best ways to avoid issues.. That paired with cutting technique.. I have seen pro chefs use a knife and not have isse, Then give me the same knife and food sticks when Im cutting (I have gotten better over the years) Yet technique will effect how any one knife will cut..

Finding a balance between these things is the trick. Like many things about knife making.

Have fun and God Bless
Randy

Ok, thanks Randy that truly is some helpful insight and wisdom from an experienced maker.
So in essence if I go to 400 then start working the handle end of this blade should be the appropriate plan.

Back