Safety PSA

Randy Lucius

Saw this on Facebook. I don't know the back story or details. None were given but it reminds me how quick something can happen. I know we've all been in the shop and needed to cut something real quick. "I'll grab the cut-off, it won't take but a couple of seconds". Did you grab your safety glasses too? I've been guilty of making a "quick cut" without glasses. Not anymore. If something is spinning I'll have glasses on. I encourage you to do so too.

saftey_e.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Crap!!! I have had a cutoff wheel come apart but never like that. I will admit since the last time an eye surgeon had to dig a piece of rusty steel out of my eye and I had blurry vision for over a month I purchased some huge BC safety glasses and I wear them all the time in the shop now.

Dang! That is or would have been a very bad ending.
On safety - I actually had to go to the doctor this week to have a piece of metal removed from my eye, nothing serious but it is a wake up call.

That's a scary one! I've had cutoff wheels come apart before. Never fun. Since I need reading glasses to see things up close, I have tendency to put on my regular readers and not safety readers. I keep reminding myself not to do that. This is a good reminder.

A very good reminder to all of us to use PSE "ALL" the time. I'll admit I'm not the best, but am better than I was raised up to be.

That's a scary one! I've had cutoff wheels come apart before. Never fun. Since I need reading glasses to see things up close, I have tendency to put on my regular readers and not safety readers. I keep reminding myself not to do that. This is a good reminder.
Yeah Sean. I wear eyeglasses too and I've been getting lazy about safety glasses. I think I'll be a little more vigilante about wearing them.

I have a Friend that builds Custom Motorcycles. He was doing some work on a bike laying on his back cutting a piece off the bike. The cutting wheel broke and took off like a shot. Cut thru his pants and half way thru his JUNK! He DROVE HIMSELF to the Emergency Room!! They repaired the damage luckily!! Everytime I think im having a bad day I think of my friends ordeal!

I have a Friend that builds Custom Motorcycles. He was doing some work on a bike laying on his back cutting a piece off the bike. The cutting wheel broke and took off like a shot. Cut thru his pants and half way thru his JUNK! He DROVE HIMSELF to the Emergency Room!! They repaired the damage luckily!! Everytime I think im having a bad day I think of my friends ordeal!
Yep. I think that qualifies as a bad day. Glad he's ok.

Ouch…I felt that.

No no no! Yikes! I never had something like that with a cut off. My friend did with a 12” cut off saw, half the cut off wheel was lodged in the ceiling of my old roommates shop for years? Heck it may still be here! Close calls can be a good wake up call

I can't recall how many times at the walk-in clinic that I used to work at and someone prefaced his story with "I was in a hurry so I didn't (whatever)". That picture makes me think that a face mask would be mandatory for working with a cut-off wheel. I wouldn't like to have my nose cut off.

Doug

Last year I had an abrasive cutoff wheel come apart on me. I was lucky and didn't get hurt, but it was pretty impressive.
After that I switched to the Lenox Metalmax wheels. They are more expensive but they last a long time and I think they are safer.
They do cut somewhat slower than the abrasive wheels.

Back