Sami Sheaths

Dacks

I've been searching, fruitlessly, for a tutorial on how these sheaths are made. I'm particularly interested in the process of how the inside cavity for the blade is shaped.

Any thoughts, links, or such would be greatly appreciated.

knivefst.jpg

I have seen that style done in wood where the wood is split and then the inside is carved out and the two pieces glued back together.I assme the process is the same here. Dave:)

Every WIP I've seen on sheaths like that have been as Dave described (or cut in half with a saw instead of split). The wood is split/cut in half, then the profile is drawn onto one half of the wood and carved out with a narrow chisel/engraver until the blade fits properly, and then the two halves are glued back together (sometimes with hidden wooden pins, if I remember correctly). Once the wooden half is shaped, a wide groove is carved around the mouth of it to provide a place to mold the leather half around to help hold the wood in place, along with gluing it.

Now, after saying all this, I warn you that I have never actually done it, I have merely seen it done in posts on other forums.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

~Noah

A very good source of information on making scandi style sheaths is the book

Knifemaking: A Complete Guide to Crafting Knives, Handles, and Sheaths

by Bo Bergman

I haven't seen a better step by step book out there. He goes through several styles and how to construct them. Its an excellent guide for the scandi knife and handle makers as well.

Not an easy book to find, but one I would never part with.

Back