Scale

Robert66

I was so proud of making a larger and higher quality knife by my own standards and I put it into my forge for a re hardening cycle using newish engine oil which I am using at the present time and got loads of scale which I cannot get completely out, swear swear swear.

I will get canola this week.

I am using Propane torch in fire bricks which heats up reasonably quick

Is it possible I have OVER COOKED, BURNED said blade????

Thank you Guys,

Sir, I think you may be suffering from information overload. Believe me I know what it feels like. There is so much information on blade making and the “folklore” that goes with that one can get overloaded easily. If you are forging the blades get a copy of “The complete bladesmith” by Jim Hrisoulas read and follow that. You can get a digital copy from amazon. Since you are doing simple HT the book will put you on the right track. If you do stock removal one of the other guys here can suggest a book for that. Then you will have a solid foundation from which to sort out new info.

I am doing quite a bit of stock removal as it is not easy to buy flat stock here, the actual formed knife blanks are fat too expensive and I wanna make knives not put them together like a jigsaw.

I try to be economical as possible as all the expenditure goes to m
MacMillan, I do not take my costs back.

I am enjoying this latest past time at the moment, I feel I have moved forward since joining here.

Rock on guys.

Soak your blades in white vinegar overnight and then scrub them with a copper brush as you rinse them. That should take the scale right off. Heavy scaling might indicate that you have too much air going into your forge in relation to the gas.

(Three attempts to post this and I finally made it!)

Doug

Last edited:
A friend of mine who is also on this forum suggested to me to soak my tomahawk heads in battery acid over night to clean the scale off. I’ll try to post a pic tomorrow of the outcome

I already had them soaking by the time I saw this, I had them in a chemical/acid Safe plastic tub outside where nothing could get into it overnight then this morning I fished them out with a wire and soaked them in a very strong baking soda and water solution to neutralize the acid. When they first came out they were coated in bluish green Crystals. After soaking for a few minutes in baking soda the crystals disappeared and they’re looking pretty good, I rinsed with cold water and put back into fresh baking soda and water, they will sit until they don’t bubble anymore...

I already had them soaking by the time I saw this, I had them in a chemical/acid Safe plastic tub outside where nothing could get into it overnight then this morning I fished them out with a wire and soaked them in a very strong baking soda and water solution to neutralize the acid. When they first came out they were coated in bluish green Crystals. After soaking for a few minutes in baking soda the crystals disappeared and they’re looking pretty good, I rinsed with cold water and put back into fresh baking soda and water, they will sit until they don’t bubble anymore...

Attachments

• 42BCD678-D78F-4634-9443-80E3A0074C2D.jpeg
    42BCD678-D78F-4634-9443-80E3A0074C2D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • D64A9345-686B-4464-AB35-839A133BA5DE.jpeg
    D64A9345-686B-4464-AB35-839A133BA5DE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Jon, I have heard of folks using Sulfuric Acid for etching. How ever the hazards of using battery acid aren't really worth it, given the fact that vinegar will do both. Loosen scale and some use it too etch!! Let them pieces set for a bit and see if they begin to rust.

I did some with heavy salt and even after rinsing, scrubbing with baking soda, and rinsing again I thought I was good. About a week later I noticed the steel was beginning to rust!! So now I do a double baking soda rinse with a waiting period of at least 24 hrs. between the first and second rinse. I haven't had a rust problem since I started doing the double rinse!!

Last edited:
So now I do a double baking soda rinse with a waiting period of at least 24 hrs. between the first and second rinse. I haven't had a rust

I keep a spray bottle full of glass cleaner WITH ammonia and I hose it down and wipe it off two to three times with that. Dollar general brand works well if it has the ammonia. I try not to use water but it is good to know it works with baking soda.

Back