Scratches or cracks?

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
A friend just sent me a photo of a knife I made him a couple years ago with what look like sanding scratches in the tip. Haven’t seen something like this show up before, and am concerned they could be cracks. I know they weren’t there when I gave it to him, at least not that obvious. Any ideas?

A7C7BC8E-D55F-4D0D-BCCB-26A8AAC3DC91.jpeg

The horizontal line are certainly leftover/missed heavy grit scratches. The vertical line are also "scratches", but appear to have come from some kind of "rubbing" or "dragging" motion that happened to the blade prior to hardening (the "bumps" in the bottoms are the give away) The first thing that popped into my mind was a bit of careless handling, and something either got piled upon the blade. Or something got dropped on it????

The horizontal line are certainly leftover/missed heavy grit scratches. The vertical line are also "scratches", but appear to have come from some kind of "rubbing" or "dragging" motion that happened to the blade prior to hardening (the "bumps" in the bottoms are the give away) The first thing that popped into my mind was a bit of careless handling, and something either got piled upon the blade. Or something got dropped on it????

Thanks Ed. It's one of the early blades I made prior to getting a grinder, when I was using files and just learning. My friend uses it all the time, and has it bear hunting right now. The looks don't bother him, and it's kept its edge.

They look like previously disguised file tooth marks.
Cracks nearly alway run from the edges and rarely cross at 90 degrees to each other but straight and draw filing gouges will

Back