Scroll cutting doodle

roughcountry

Awhile back someone was interested in learning to scroll cut. I mentioned that I had a peice of my uncles work who influenced the way I scroll cut.
Someday I might get half as good.

I held my old HTS swivel knife in the picture to show what his favorite knife & blade looked like. This is the knife I learned with but I use a smoothie now with a couple smaller blades.
011.jpg

Your uncle's work reminds me of Ray Pohja, and Ben Veach. Several oldtimers I've known had the talent to pull that off.....sadly I never have. Don't see too many of those hollow ground blades used any more. They used to be really popular.

Paul

Good morning Paul.
Sure wished some of the oldtimers work was out there to look at. I have been to the King museum in Sheridan once. Don King collected a lot of really nice work from all over, sure worth the time to look at. Never looked at so many leather tools before. There is a leather splitter there that I invented and a brother made and sold for awhile.

I still use the hollow ground blades, just a bit smaller than the old ones.
004.jpg

This is my favorite way to use scroll cuting on sheaths or gun leather. After wet forming in areas that would mash stamping I'll do just enough scroll work to dress it up and not leave a blank spot.

Thats some beautiful work.My mentor Sandy Morrissey does alot of that style and I could look at it for hours.Dave

What gave me the bug to try this was a old worn out belt. It was solid scroll work and still looked good worn out. Real good way to use scraps up before they go in the stove :^)

Beautiful work, Robin. I meant to send you a PM last night. I saved the two pics you posted of the dog and lion and the lion alone. Whenever I get too stressed out (often) I pull up that pic of the Mt. Lion in the tree and that seems to bring me instant peace. Don't know why and don't care. It is just a dang near perfect picture of one of God's creatures that few of us have ever seen. And the background is the perfect setting. I sat and stared at that big cat for probably a half hour and then forgot what I was stressed out about. Thank you so much for posting those pics. Denny

Thank you Denny. And your more than welcome on the cat pictures. That is my favorite lion picture of all that I've taken over the years. Thats what I call a picture tree, the mist above the river and colors are just great. You just can't get those cats to pose like that very often. If I can find it, I have a picture looking down country from above where I treed that lion. It sure shows some of Gods greatest country. I had pictures of these mountains with me overseas, nice to be able to take a trip home from time to time.
Robin

I can't visualize what you are talking about with the cats? Can you post or send me the pic? Also if anyone knows a video demo ( or could do one) I would lve to see it. I did a YouTube search and came up with nothing.

Also that swivel knife looks very thick? Do you prefer a big barrel, if so why? I have been thinking about getting a new one from Barry king and could not make up my mind on what size to get? I like the look and think I would like the feel of the thick sized one but would a thinner one give you/me the ability to make tighter/ sharper curves?
Last that blade does not look like a "regular" blade what is it/ who makes it?

Thanks Denny, I don't have a clue how to do the link thing.

Chef, your right about the barrel size. The older HTS knife had a pretty big barrel. It was easy to grip and spread the pressure out. In some ways it was more forgiving and the bigger blade easyer to control.

I'll try to get a picture of the two knives & blades I use now. The smaller carving styles dictate a different size barrel and blade. Some tape the barrels to pad them and slightly upsize the barrel.

I don't know of any vidios of scroll work, not that many who use it alone on projects. There are a few guys out there that are very good at it but use it mostly in limited amount with carving.

Chef
Heres a picture of the swivel knives I use the most, with a saddle rigging. I used the top knife to cut the scroll on the rigging. The bottom for the pistol holster and knife sheath. The top is a knife from the Leather factory (now Tandy) not sure it's avalible anymore. Bottom is a smoothy (Smith Knife) Bothare top quaility knifes with really good blades. Barry king has good feeling knives and blades ( his prices are good also) I've tryed them at leather shows.
001-2.jpg

Back