Second knife done

Cojab

Well I got number two done. Definitly some improvement and I'm much happier with this one. However, I've got to take more time on sanding for my mirror finish. I ended up with some scratches still left in the blade and bolsters. I built a pin press from Boss's plans and I thought the bolsters were much easier to install this way. I also didnt get my Loveless fasteners set deep enough and ended up sanding through one on one side of the knife. I think I might try to drill that one out and reset another one.
The knife is 1084 with stainless, dovetailed bolsters, brass and stainless Loveless fasteners, stainless thong hole, ironwood handle with white liners. It is 6 3/4" overall length with a 3" blade. This one I am giving to my son.
100712knife2 002.jpg100712knife2 010.jpg100712knife2 012.jpg100712knife2 015.jpg

Nice second knife.

I use Loveless bolts for almost all of my knives. There is a step drill that you can get from the supply house to counter sink the round nuts. I did/Have made the counter sink to short and have ground of the nut in the past, You only need about 1/16" of the nut above the scale so you can tighten it with pliers.

Keep going, I always say.

if you haven't had to grind off a entire handle and start over, You haven't made enough knives!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Actually, that's quite impressive for a second knife. I would say that you are well on your way to bigger and better things! Keep it up.

Great second knife! I would just use a carbide bit drill a large hole and pin the bad boy. Saves the wood. Use a brass pin, the are easier to peen.

Back